Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Configuring the Web Server

Till now I did nothing with CGI and web server. I found in the documentation of Extend 9.2.3 by 4. Launching Web Applications Through CGI how to configuring for windows 2000 but I want to do it on a local PC with Windows 8.1. So someone can make me happy with a guide for To Configure IIS on a Windows8.1 instead of To Configure IIS on a Windows 2000 Server.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Configuring the Web Server

Here are our notes for setting up the runtime as CGI on IIS 7 and 7.5 (Windows Server 2008 R2).  I don't know if they are the same as you need for Windows 8.1, but they are probably closer than the documentation for Windows 2000.

Confirm that wrun32.exe is operational from the desk top.

Download and install Microsoft Web Platform Installer.

www.microsoft.com/.../platform.aspx

Run Web Platform Installer and choose IIS 7 Recommended Configuration.

Follow this link for directions to install the CGI module.

www.iis.net/.../cgi

Start the IIS Manager and right click the "Default Web Site" in the Connections Panel (right).

Choose "Add Application" from the pop-up menu.

Type cgi-bin or the name of your choosing in the "Alias" field.

Type the path to the folder containing wrun32.exe.

Accept the defaults for "Application pool" and "Pass-through authentication".

Click OK.

Select the new application in the connections panel (right).

Double click the "Handler Mappings" icon in the Home panle (center).

Double click the "CGI-exe" item and an "Edit Script Map" pop-up window will appear.

Type "*.ACU" in the "Request path" field.

Type %PATH%\wrun32.exe -f "%s" in the "Executable" field. (Replacing %PATH% with the folder/path to where the runtime is installed.)

Click "request Restrictions..." button and a "Request Restrictions" pop-up window will appear.

Accept the defaults on the "Request Restrictions" pop-up window by clicking "OK".

Click "OK" to close the "Edit Script Map" pop-up window.

This will trigger an "Edit Script Map" question asking if you want to allow this ISAPI extension. click "Yes".

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Configuring the Web Server

Shane, thanks for the instructions but I tried configuring everything on my Win 7 Pro 64 bit with IIS 7 with CGI module installed  following your instructions to the letter  but No Go if I follow your instruction to:

Type the path to the folder containing wrun32.exe.

And do everything else as you described , whenever I try to run a CGI program it expects the program (name.acu) to be found in the installation folder of my wrun32.exe  which isn't the correct one, my  guess is that you would put in the "PATH" the path of the folder that one created below the wwwroot folder containing the .html files, the object (.acu) files and perhaps even the data files.

At least when configured like that  I get a step further, when I try running my CGI program and start:

localhost/cgi-bin/start-friends.html      

it fires up my "friends" screen I can fill in my username and password click submit which then sends a POST message to the webserver asking it to start my /cgi-bin/scout01.acu  program but than I run into the following error:

HTTP Error 404.0 - Not Found

The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

and it shows me:

Requested URL

localhost/.../scout01.acu

Physical Path

C:\inetpub\wwwroot\cgi-bin\scout01.acu

Which however  are the correct requested URL and physical path, why it comes with that 404.0 I don't understand, do you have any suggestion?

By the way the customer Mr. Voerman has received the same test programs from me, I just am trying to get them working on my laptop also. They always worked on my previous laptop with IIS 6 and Win XP.

Thanks in advance,

Piet

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.