Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
AlexP1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Connecting to Cobol Files using Linked Server in SQL Server

Jump to solution
I need to read some Cobol data files through a linked server in sql server.
I have followed the steps described here, just that I used version 8.01.02 of the Acucorp AcuXDBC ODBC drivers.
I have also created the Linked server in SQL, but I am not able to query the files.
When I try to expand the tables group in the Lined server I get an error saying:
Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server.

I tried to see maybe i need to create some catalogs using xdbcutil -d D:\XDBCDataFiles\INK\xdbcVIX -x D:\XDBCDataFiles\INK\xfd -v -a post
but I got: Table Post is already defined.
I have used the same files before with a linked server on another machine and it was ok.
My cfg file that I specified in ODBC looks like this (I have removed the commented parts):
dictsource "D:/XDBCDataFiles/INK/xdbcVIX" 
file_prefix ";D:/XDBCDataFiles/INK/xdbcVIX;D:/XDBCDataFiles/INK/dataFiles" 
invalid_numeric_data zero
max_files 256

max_locks 4098

locks_per_file 4098

v_buffers 256
What is it that I must do to make it work, so I can be able to do something like this: select * from openquery(linked_server, 'select * from post')?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chuck Edgin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Connecting to Cobol Files using Linked Server in SQL Server

Jump to solution

Make sure your PATH environment variable includes the relevant AcuGT\bin directory. You'll also need the GENESIS_HOME variable pointing to the AcuGT directory:

PATH: C:/Program Files (x86)/Acucorp/Acucbl812/AcuGT/bin;(other existing entries...)
GENESIS_HOME: C:/Program Files (x86)/Acucorp/Acucbl812/AcuGT

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Did you set the user name and password, like you did in this older post community.microfocus.com/.../11706.aspx

0 Likes
AlexP1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

I tried with and without, no luck. I tried to actually run a query in SQL Server Management Studio and I got another error: The specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application.

I believe this could be because I installed a 64bit SQL Server. Can I get the 64 bit version of the ODBC drivers from somewhere?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

You'll need to contact Sales to get the 64 bit AcuXDBC.

0 Likes
AlexP1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

I installed a 32 bit version of SQL Server. When I am trying to run the query, i get: License file 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Acucorp/Acucbl812/AcuGT/bin/xvision.alc' inaccessible".

I used activator.exe to add the license keys, but i can't find any .alc file. Is there any other way to add this file?

0 Likes
DougP Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

You need to use an account that has sufficient privilege to write in the Program Files (x86) branch.  Try right clicking on activator.exe and select 'Run as administrator'.

0 Likes
AlexP1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Getting closer :).

Now I got:

OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "xdbc_testrem" returned message "[TOD][ODBC Driver]DLLLOAD: acuxdbc04, The specified module could not be found.

Where is this acuxdbc04? I installed this:

0 Likes
Chuck Edgin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Make sure your PATH environment variable includes the relevant AcuGT\bin directory. You'll also need the GENESIS_HOME variable pointing to the AcuGT directory:

PATH: C:/Program Files (x86)/Acucorp/Acucbl812/AcuGT/bin;(other existing entries...)
GENESIS_HOME: C:/Program Files (x86)/Acucorp/Acucbl812/AcuGT

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.