Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Create ActiveX object on the server

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 04 July 2011]

Hi there,

I am running in a client/server environment.

I have an activex control on the server, does anyone know how I create an incstance on the server when running the wrun32.exe on the client. There is no screen display at all.

I know how to create activex objects on the client just by displaying it on a form etc but am struggling with the server. I have looked at the SERVER-NAME when displaying the activex but get a compile error.

I tried using the CREATE statemnt but did not know what the object name should be and kept getting errors.

So if I have an activeX control that performs functions and want to run it on the server not the client does anyone know hhow to do it ?
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Create ActiveX object on the server

Also we are using Extend 9.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The only way I can think of is to use AcuConnect distributed processing. The program (prog-excell) can be called from COBOL but prog-excel would be executed on the server. The configuration file would need an entry so that prog-excell gets executed by AcuConnect distributed processing.

I hope this helps.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I think the SERVER-NAME in the create syntax is this: the client PC does DCOM calls (Distributed COM) to the server, which would require the client PC to have the COM objects available
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Chapter 6: Procedure Division > 6.6 Procedure Division Statements >

CREATE Statement

When a server-name is provided - the COM object's interface is instantiated on the machine where the application is executing and the back-end is instantiated on the specified server where the work is done and resources can be accessed. In this case the COM object must be registered on both machines.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.