Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

(DESPERATE) Extend and ACUCOBOL - Server 2012 R2

All,

I've recently installed a new server to replace an aging server that was running Microsoft Windows 2003 (32 bit) with only 4GB of RAM.

We've replaced this environment with 2012 R2, more CPU, Memory and Disk in a Dell PowerEdge R series server.  The storage is very fast, the CPUs are generations newer, the operating system is 64bit and the Memory is faster and much larger than what we previously had.

However, the vendor that the application was written buy states that there's no difference in the code and datafiles that they've installed to the new server.  However, anything that is not in the "blue screens" of the application that hits invoicing, POs, etc... has to extract files every single time there's a query transaction (IE: moving from one Inventory item to another) takes many seconds.  In a period of 4 seconds, there's 30k file operations performed on the back end.  Everything is done while maintaining sub 2 and 3 millisecond latency on the disk subsystem.

There's no disk, CPU or memory bottlenecks.  Everything is faster than it was on the old server except these functions.  I mean things that ran for hours run now in minutes.  Yet the vendor has made a very superficial attempt to analyze the issue.   I am seeking some assistance / guidance on what I can look for.  It's running Accucobol and Extend.  I'm willing to pay for consulting hours.  I just need an expert that is willing to put in more than a superficial look with me.  I've been working with servers, databases and multitier applications since the early nineties.  I'm easy to work with and really need an assist here.

Anyone able to help?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.