Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DOTNET to Acucobol

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 05 May 2011]

Using Windows XP SP3, IIS5 and .NET 4
Acucubol 8.1.2.1

Having got the DOTNET to COBOL to work under testing, we have spent the last few months developing a complex application.

We have written the website using MVC3 where the backend is our system written in Acucobol.
The webserver should start the Acucobol runtime through the interop dll and thereafter perform calls to the relevant programmes.

When we run this setup from Visual Studio using IIS Express then everything works fine.
All the Acucobol programmes start as expected and the application is tested and in order.

When we run it using "real" IIS5 however, the site hangs on the first call to the backend Acucobol programme.
As far as running processes go, I can see that the runtime exe file is running, meaning the initial call was made and permissions seem to be ok.
When we "deploy" the system, Interop.AcuGTObjects.dll is included in the website and I can see from tracing the browser that it call acugt.exe.
But the Acucobol programmme does not start.
I am using "-d" when calling, but it doesn't get as far as starting the trace.

I have tried setting all permissions for the user on both the involved directories and files and also on the COM service.

What else could I be missing here?
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor.

RE: DOTNET to Acucobol

I would suggest you try it without the "-d" option. In order to run the debugger, the process would need the ability to display the debugger window on the console device; however, running under the IIS user account there would be no valid console device on which to display it. To get tracing information from the runtime, use the "-le errfile" option, making sure to include a path to "errfile" that the IIS account would be able to write to. If you also use the "-c config" option, and in the config file include "FILE_TRACE_FLUSH 1" you should be able to get some logging information even if the process hangs. Finally, you can set a system environment variable "A_TRACE=7" (you may need to restart IIS after setting) - this will give additional tracing information that might prove useful.

Finally I'd suggest opening a Support Incident for this, as the technician may have other ideas and you'll be able to upload trace files, etc. (attach themd to the Incident).
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: DOTNET to Acucobol

Thank you, that was the answer! It must have been waiting for us to press "G" in the debug screen..... but the debug screen was not visible!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.