Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
TonyLeBlanc Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Default fonts in AcuToWeb

Jump to solution

We have a simple application (in Windows) which works fine in thick client and thin-client.  It uses several different fonts and sizes to get the look we wanted.

When displaying in AcuToWeb, the use of these different fonts result in undesireable appearances - buttons overlap grids and entry fields, and many other visual oddities.  I understand it is because of the fonts; when I looked at the AcuToWeb documentation, under "Limitations and Known Issues" it says:

• If your application uses a non-default font, and you have inconsistencies between the font sizing in the AcuToWeb application and the application when run through AcuThin, then you must use the AcuToWeb Desktop with your AcuToWeb application, to allow the font rendering to be handled within extend.

My question is what constitutes a "default font"?  Is it an accept statement from "DEFAULT-FONT", or something else?  I'd rather not have to do trial and error to figure out which fonts render similarly in AcuCobol-GT directly and in AcuToWeb with similar looks.

Thanks

Tony

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Super Contributor.

Re: Default fonts in AcuToWeb

Jump to solution

Hi, Stephen and Claudio;

Thanks for the suggestions.  After some experimentation, it seems the issue is browser translation of fonts - when we use a "Terminal" font, it looks like the browser renders it as Times Roman, which affects the spacing of controls.  Any Arial or Times Roman font seems to render pretty much the same in the browser as it does on the Windows screen.  A few pages devoted to web page development seem to support this, in recommending specific fonts (like Arial and Times-Roman) as being well-supported in browsers, and other fonts, such as "Terminal", not so much. 

This makes me curious as to font support in other regional settings of Windows; we've had issues in the past where specific fonts aren't found on Japanese versions of Windows, for example.

Tony

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

I believe the default-font in this case is the font you select for default-font in your configuration file. DEFAULT_FONT could be small, medium, large, fixed

I believe the caution in the docs about AcuToWeb and fonts comes from choosing fonts such as San Serif or Arial or any of the other fonts loaded onto the Windows systems. When using these fonts the AcuToWeb desktop needs to be running so that those fonts become available to your program.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Jump to solution

On Windows clients, the default fonts are the following:

TRADITIONAL_FONT "Fixed sys", 12
FIXED_FONT "Fixed sys", 12
LARGE_FONT "MS Sans Serif", 10
MEDIUM_FONT "MS Sans Serif", 8
SMALL_FONT "MS Sans Serif", 9

What version of AcuToWeb are you using?
You can obtain this information by executing: wrun32.exe -vv on the server.
You can also right click on the browser page, View page source, and find the Build information.

I suggest you to contact Customer Care and submit a test case, with a simple program which shows these differences.
We'll be very glad to help you in finding a solution.

----------------------------
Claudio Contardi
Product Support Engineer, Senior
Micro Focus
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi, Stephen and Claudio;

Thanks for the suggestions.  After some experimentation, it seems the issue is browser translation of fonts - when we use a "Terminal" font, it looks like the browser renders it as Times Roman, which affects the spacing of controls.  Any Arial or Times Roman font seems to render pretty much the same in the browser as it does on the Windows screen.  A few pages devoted to web page development seem to support this, in recommending specific fonts (like Arial and Times-Roman) as being well-supported in browsers, and other fonts, such as "Terminal", not so much. 

This makes me curious as to font support in other regional settings of Windows; we've had issues in the past where specific fonts aren't found on Japanese versions of Windows, for example.

Tony

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.