Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
mfisher Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Does CALL "HttpPost" ever time out?

Jump to solution

Does the CALL "HttpPost" library routine have a built-in timeout, or is it conceivable that it could hang indefinitely while waiting for a response?

0 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

RE: Does CALL "HttpPost" ever time out?

Jump to solution

The RMnet documentation is delivered as a PDF file.  I only have the RM/COBOL version for reference.

It does not appear to have a mechanism to specify time out values.  RMnet is a wrapper on the curl command line (which in turn is a 'front end') so capabilities are limited to what is exposed there.  You can see the curl documentation at curl.haxx.se/.../manual.html.  From my reading, I would not expect the ability to specify a time out value.

Tom Morrison
Consultant

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Elmer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

RM/COBOL v12.09 (Update 5) added two new functions to RMNet, HttpSetConnectTimeout and HttpSetTimeout.  These allow setting of CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT and CURLOPT_TIMEOUT respectively.  But these changes have *not* been made to the ACU extend version of RMNet.  I believe the default behavior of curl is to wait forever for a response.

0 Likes
3 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

The RMnet documentation is delivered as a PDF file.  I only have the RM/COBOL version for reference.

It does not appear to have a mechanism to specify time out values.  RMnet is a wrapper on the curl command line (which in turn is a 'front end') so capabilities are limited to what is exposed there.  You can see the curl documentation at curl.haxx.se/.../manual.html.  From my reading, I would not expect the ability to specify a time out value.

Tom Morrison
Consultant

0 Likes
Elmer Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

RM/COBOL v12.09 (Update 5) added two new functions to RMNet, HttpSetConnectTimeout and HttpSetTimeout.  These allow setting of CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT and CURLOPT_TIMEOUT respectively.  But these changes have *not* been made to the ACU extend version of RMNet.  I believe the default behavior of curl is to wait forever for a response.

0 Likes
mfisher Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thanks for the responses! Both very helpful.

We are definitely seeing "wait forever" occur. Sounds like we'll have to submit a a feature request.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.