Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Domain resolution with AcuServer

Jump to solution

We have encountered a really odd problem on 2 customer systems (out of 200+).  We are using Acu Extend 9.1.1 with AcuServer.  AcuServer is loaded on a GoDaddy server and services requests from all 200+ customer systems.  GoDaddy server is set up with a DNS name (through dyn.org), and also a static IP address.

Symptoms at one customer site this morning:

We address the file as @dnsname:C:\path\filename.DAT.  This is actually hard-coded in our program, and works fine from 199+ of our customer sites.  However, at this one site, the C$PING works fine (returns a return code of 0).  The file in filename.dat is defined as OPTIONAL - when we open that file for input, we get a file status 05 back - indicating the file wasn't found, but was created.  Subsequent reads return file status 23 (correctly, since no records are found).

The file is already present at @dnsname:C:\path\filename.DAT, and doesn't get created.  In fact, if we check the AcuServer Info tab while the computer is connected, we DO NOT see the computer listed.  Similarly, we DO NOT see the computer listed in the AcuServer trace file (trace=7). 

If we use the Acu debugger to change the filename of the file to be @staticip:c:\path\filename.DAT - then everything works correctly (the program is able to open the file and read records in it).

So, it seems as if "something" is intercepting the DNS name, correctly resolving it to the IP, returning successful status for the C$PING, and the runtime is not throwing an error that the file can't be read, but darned if we can figure out what is causing this.

I thought I would through this out to see if some who understands DNS resolution better than I can shed some light?

Thanks

Tony

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

RE: Domain resolution with AcuServer

Jump to solution

Hi Tony, I din't find an explanation about why the DNS name is failing.  However, you may be able to work around the issue by using a file alias in the Runtime configuration file.  Something like this should do it:

@dnsname:C:\path\filename.DAT @staticip:c:\path\filename.DAT

I haven't tested it but it's worth a try.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

RE: Domain resolution with AcuServer

Jump to solution

Hi Tony, I din't find an explanation about why the DNS name is failing.  However, you may be able to work around the issue by using a file alias in the Runtime configuration file.  Something like this should do it:

@dnsname:C:\path\filename.DAT @staticip:c:\path\filename.DAT

I haven't tested it but it's worth a try.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.