Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
RubenTenerife
New Member.

Doubts about Acuserver and mapped drives

Jump to solution

Hello,

I've installed Acuserver for the first time, and I've a question:

Currently my application is using mapped drives. All the client computers are executing wrun32.exe, which is located in the shared folder, such as objects, vision files and configuration file.

What I've tested with acuserver is:

- To install runtime in every local computer. 

- To create a path to that folder, so I can run wrun32 everywhere.

- The client configuration file is still located in shared folder.

- To Launch the application with the active folder located in the shared folder, but running the wrun32.exe local instance

By this way, what I've tested seems that is working properly. But I'd like to know, if that's the best way to set up acuserver or if there are another properly method.

Thanks and kind regards.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chuck Edgin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Doubts about Acuserver and mapped drives

Jump to solution

• - To install runtime in every local computer. 
    • Yes, this is recommended
  • - To create a path to that folder, so I can run wrun32 everywhere.
    • I assume you mean each local computer has a shortcut pointing to the local installation of wrun32.exe - if so, Yes this is recommended. If not, please explain further
  • - The client configuration file is still located in shared folder.
    • You can point to this config file using a UNC path, a mapped drive (which references a UNC path), OR you can use AcuServer remote notation:
      • <localpath>\wrun32.exe -c @servername:<local-path-on-server>\configfile program-name

• - To Launch the application with the active folder located in the shared folder, but running the wrun32.exe local instance
    • Not sure exactly what you mean, but a good approach would be for the config file to contain a CODE_PREFIX entry that points to the location(s) (on the server) where the object files reside - using AcuServer notation:
      • CODE_PREFIX @servername:<local-path-on-server>\object-dir1 @servername:<local-path-on-server>\object-dir2 ....etc...
    • Most importantly, the config file should contain a FILE_PREFIX entry pointing to the location(s) of the Vision data files using AcuServer notation:
      • FILE_PREFIX @servername:<local-path-on-server>\data-dir1 @servername:<local-path-on-server>\data-dir2 ....etc...

The choice of whether to use AcuServer for the config file or the object files isn't all that critical. If you prefer to use a mapped drive or UNC notation that's fine, although if you have AcuServer running, why not use it for consistency? For one thing, you no longer have to ensure the correct drive letters are mapped on each and every workstation. Plus with AcuServer, it can work with remote machines or machines that may not be joined to the Windows domain.

The most important thing, and where you get the most benefit from using AcuServer, is to use it to access your Vision data files. Make sure that AcuServer is running on the same physical server as the data files, and the paths to the data directories (using AcuServer notation) only refer to local, physical drives on the server (i.e. NOT mapped drives).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Chuck Edgin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

• - To install runtime in every local computer. 
    • Yes, this is recommended
  • - To create a path to that folder, so I can run wrun32 everywhere.
    • I assume you mean each local computer has a shortcut pointing to the local installation of wrun32.exe - if so, Yes this is recommended. If not, please explain further
  • - The client configuration file is still located in shared folder.
    • You can point to this config file using a UNC path, a mapped drive (which references a UNC path), OR you can use AcuServer remote notation:
      • <localpath>\wrun32.exe -c @servername:<local-path-on-server>\configfile program-name

• - To Launch the application with the active folder located in the shared folder, but running the wrun32.exe local instance
    • Not sure exactly what you mean, but a good approach would be for the config file to contain a CODE_PREFIX entry that points to the location(s) (on the server) where the object files reside - using AcuServer notation:
      • CODE_PREFIX @servername:<local-path-on-server>\object-dir1 @servername:<local-path-on-server>\object-dir2 ....etc...
    • Most importantly, the config file should contain a FILE_PREFIX entry pointing to the location(s) of the Vision data files using AcuServer notation:
      • FILE_PREFIX @servername:<local-path-on-server>\data-dir1 @servername:<local-path-on-server>\data-dir2 ....etc...

The choice of whether to use AcuServer for the config file or the object files isn't all that critical. If you prefer to use a mapped drive or UNC notation that's fine, although if you have AcuServer running, why not use it for consistency? For one thing, you no longer have to ensure the correct drive letters are mapped on each and every workstation. Plus with AcuServer, it can work with remote machines or machines that may not be joined to the Windows domain.

The most important thing, and where you get the most benefit from using AcuServer, is to use it to access your Vision data files. Make sure that AcuServer is running on the same physical server as the data files, and the paths to the data directories (using AcuServer notation) only refer to local, physical drives on the server (i.e. NOT mapped drives).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
RubenTenerife
New Member.

Jump to solution

First, thanks for the answer.

'- To Launch the application with the active folder located in the shared folder, but running the wrun32.exe local instance'

I mean that I run the application from the mapped drive but via the acuserve service. This way I think I won't need to change all my code refered to c$system, c$copy, etc., due that the active folder is still the same.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.