Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
buggabill Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Execute a downloaded exe for thin client auto-update

I am trying to execute an NSIS created .exe installer for an auto update.  This exe will not execute making the auto-update process fail.  The lines in the log are:

11:44:16 Executing "C:\Users\hugh\Desktop\NRFDist\nrf_roe_client_setup.exe"
11:44:16 Error executing "C:\Users\hugh\Desktop\NRFDist\nrf_roe_client_setup.exe"

However, this does not happen if I provide an MSI package.  I can wrap the exe file in an MSI package, but this is a little clunky.  According to the docs, it would seem that an exe file should be able to be used.

How do I get the thin client to execute the exe file?  Does TC_INSTALLER_ARGS may have something to do with this?

0 Likes
2 Replies
DougP Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

RE: Execute a downloaded exe for thin client auto-update

What version of ACUCOBOL-GT are you running?

Is there an error reported?

Is there anything in the Windows Event Log that corresponds to the failure?

What happens if you use the original AcuThin .exe installer?

0 Likes
buggabill Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Execute a downloaded exe for thin client auto-update

We are upgrading from 9.0.1 to 10.0.  This will necessitate utilizing the auto update feature for the thin client.  We have a custom installer built, because we have some server and other configuration stuff present, custom icons as well as having the required Visual C++ redistributable bundled with the installer.

It only trips the auto update failed procedures showing the dialog with the contents of TC_AUTO_UPDATE_FAILED_MESSAGE.

I do not see anything in the event logs when this happens.

The original AcuThin exe file executes fine.  I suspect that it is just extracting the msi, but honestly, I am not sure.  There may be something else that I am not aware of.  I also tried signing the exe file with no luck.

One thing that seems to "fix" this is right-clicking on the shortcut to acuthin and running as an administrator.  We have over a thousand people with this app installed making this not a solution.

I have built a new msi installer in Visual Studio, and it works.  There is some flexibility that having an .exe provides namely the ability to execute the vcredist install during the install process.  With the newly constructed msi, I am doing it after the user clicks Finish.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.