Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
RobertRedekop Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

How do I message one runtime process from another

Assume I have two instances of the runcbl running. Each running an extend cobol application. Designate them A and B. Can A do something that would interrupt an accept statement that B was doing?  (And preferably in such a way that B knows A did the interrupt and can get some information. Just like the thread "SEND", but between two separate runtime instances.)

I've figured out one way to do it, but it requires creating a socket service program to route socket messages between the processes, and each runtime session would have to spawn a thread that connected to the service so messages could be received from the socket, then internally "sent" to the IO thread.  I don't need this feature badly enough to write the code to do all that,  so I'm hoping someone else has already solved this or has a better idea.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: How do I message one runtime process from another

One option would be to consider using Websphere ... www.microfocus.com/.../BKITITMIDDS001.html
0 Likes
RobertRedekop Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

RE: How do I message one runtime process from another

Interesting, very interesting, but I suspect those routines do not interrupt an accept statement. In which case I have to have a client thread to talk to websphere (using non-blocking reads) and send a thread message to the screen IO thread when a message is detected. Basically same as my idea but using websphere instead of a home-grown socket message server.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.