Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

How does the SOCKHTML.CBL sample program work?

I am a complete newbie when it comes to socket and HTML connections.

I can get SOCKCLI, SOCKSRV1 and SOCKSRVM to work but not SOCKHTML.

When I type a web address or IP address as SERVER-NAME, I get 'Unable to connect to server'.

When I type plain numbers instead, the program stops responding.

Is there a specific format for SERVER-NAME? How to get this program to work? What does this program actually do?

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: How does the SOCKHTML.CBL sample program work?

Use an internal server name such as dev.companyname.com or you could put in www.yahoo.com or any other url. The program builds an html page called webpage.html with the content of the site that it connected to.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Re: How does the SOCKHTML.CBL sample program work?

When I type a web address or IP address as SERVER-NAME, I get 'Unable to connect to server'.

That's exactly what I did. It didn't work.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.