Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

How to display label in position right after preceding control?

I need to display 3 controls on the same line, without any gaps between them:

label with proportional font

push-button

label with proportional font

I want to do 3 consecutive displays and not have to use WIN$TEXTSIZE to compute control sizes.  (That's too slow over the internet, when you are doing this multiple times)

The text interface has the cursor concept and back-to-back strings display right after each other.  Even in thin client.  But display a label and the cursor does not update.   I have a sample program I put into labelposn.zip and attached (source and object - version 10.2.1) which illustrates cursor positioning and display of controls.  Basically, it does not work.

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: How to display label in position right after preceding control?

The cursor should be in the entry-field 

DISPLAY LABEL "Test 4, part 1:"
 UPON INIT-WIN-HANDLE COL 1 LINE 7.
DISPLAY PUSH-BUTTON "Fx1"
 UPON INIT-WIN-HANDLE col + 12 line 7 size 2.
DISPLAY LABEL "Test 4, part 2"
 UPON INIT-WIN-HANDLE col + 15 line 7.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

While it's true that the cursor keyword is only applicable to an entry field, the documentation uses that word to refer to the concept of a "next screen location".  That virtual position on the screen gets updated after one display so the next one appears at that location, when the display does not override with row/col keywords.

The use of "+" is clever - but will it handle proportional font?  I'll have to try it and get back to you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

As I feared, the + places the label relative to the front of the preceding control (more accurately, probably relative to the last specified column) rather than relative to the END of the preceding control.   I used test strings of WWWWW and ||||| to test this.  I got overlap with W's and gaps with bars.  I've attached the updated program (labelposn2) and a screen capture.

I think it's interesting that when I test the same "display after last control" with text it works.  And when I do the same with gui, the 2nd label does appear slightly to the right of where the first field displayed.  So there is still a "current position" concept inside the thin client, it just appears to be computing incorrectly.  I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like.

Do you have a plan B?

labelposn2.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I had hoped the using + would help, but I had considered that it may not. I do not have a plan B. Perhaps someone else will present a solution
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Is it possible for development to change (fix?) the internal handling of the "current position" so that in gui mode, displaying a label changes the position to the appropriate location (ie WIN$TEXTSIZE pixels to the right of the starting point?)   And with a button, the appropriate size for the button specified?  It works in gui systems when using character mode.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Please contact Customer Care with this. They can submit this issue to Development. Thanks.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.