Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am a developer in Cobol (ACUCOBOL-GT)

I am a developer in Cobol (ACUCOBOL-GT), now I want to develop an application on computer tablets: Micro Focus What tool can I use?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: I am a developer in Cobol (ACUCOBOL-GT)

HTML and CGI, Xcentricity Business Information Server, Web Services

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We are using Xcentrisity, and are calling it from apps for iOS and Android that were developed using Ionic, Cordova, and JQuery.  Aside from a few quirks, things work quite well.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Dear Gustavo,

A bit more explanation may be needed.

Do you expect your application to be stand-alone on the tablet, with no communication to a server?  The two previous responses presume that you are wanting the mobile platform (tablet or smartphone) to communicate with a server, where the application is running. 

If it is your intention to have a stand-alone application, then I am unaware of any Micro Focus product that will be useful in hosting a COBOL application on a tablet/smartphone.  (But my awareness of all of Micro Focus product line is limited.)

More typical use of mobile platforms is as a user interface, where the UI on the mobile platform communicates with a server via web services for permanent data storage and for complex business rules.  buggabill has mentioned several tools that can be used to build such user interfaces for both Android and iOS.

Assuming that the user interface wishes to use your existing AcuCOBOL application, creating web services on the application server using Xcentrisity Business Information Server (BIS) is the most straightforward means to achieve your goal.  You may find a tutorial here.

Tom Morrison
Hill Country Software 

Tom Morrison
Consultant

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.