Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
dbrumbaugh Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Install Thin Client with GPO

I am trying to install Thin Client 10.0.1 msi using GPO(Group Policy), which I have done for years with version 8. The install seems to take place, but the client PC hangs and the user can not log on. The issue appears to be the acceptance of terms after the install.  Has anyone else had a problem with this?

16 Replies
wrx7m Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Install Thin Client with GPO

I have this same problem and agree that it has to be the terms and conditions that pops up. Did you ever resolve this?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Have you set TC_INSTALLER_UI_LEVEL?
Set TC_INSTALLER_UI_LEVEL to... if you...
NONE or "0" do not want msiexec.exe to display a user interface. This setting adds the /qn command-line option to msiexec.
UNATTENDED or "1" want msiexec.exe to display informational and progress messages, but to execute unattended. This setting adds the /passive command-line option to msiexec.
INTERACTIVE, DEFAULT, or "2" want msiexec.exe to prompt for and accept user input for the installation process. For example, the user could choose the directory location for thin client installation. This setting adds the /qf command-line option to msiexec.
REDUCED or "3" want msiexec.exe to use a reduced user interface. This setting adds the /qr command-line option to msiexec.
wrx7m Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for a quick response. I am not sure where I would change those. I opened the msi in Orca and didn't find the UI Level or other options. I am trying to install via a software policy in a GPO so using the msi itself or in concert with an mst would be ideal.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Are you executing something like this:
msiexec /i "extend(R) Thin Client Version 10.0.1.msi" /qn INSTALLDIR=C:\myInstallDir
0 Likes
wrx7m Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am not using msiexec/CLI to deploy. I am using a standard GPO Software policy that runs the msi installation prior to user login.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

When you execute the msi, it presents a dialog of where you want the install files to go. The
msiexec /i "extend(R) Thin Client Version 10.0.1.msi" /qn INSTALLDIR=C:\myInstallDir is a silent install requiring no interaction.
0 Likes
wrx7m Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hmm... I guess I will have to use a startup script, as opposed to the GPO software policy. Thanks, shjerpe.
0 Likes
wrx7m Absent Member.
Absent Member.

When testing deployment using a bat file, I get strange results. The first time I install it, I don't get the EULA. If I uninstall it and then run the bat file again, it prompts to accept the EULA every time afterward. After uninstalling, if I rename the msi file and run the bat file again, it doesn't ask me the first time but will each subsequent time. For some reason it keeps track after an uninstall and is specific to the msi file name. So strange.

here is the bat file-

pushd \\FP02\AppInstallers\SouthWare10ThinClient
msiexec /i "SouthWare Thin Client Version 10.0.msi" /qn
popd

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

When I use a Command prompt (runing as Administrator) and use:
msiexec /i "extend(R) Thin Client Version 10.0.1.msi" /qn INSTALLDIR=C:\myInstallDir

It installs, uninstalls, and installs correctly - no EULA
0 Likes
wrx7m Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yeah, that is strange because I even tried pushing it with PDQ Deploy without changing the msi file name and it hung but it shows as installed on the machine despite me aborting the deployment. I noticed that acuthin starts running after a few seconds during the deployment. If I end process on it, the deployment succeeds.

Same thing when I am running my bat file.

My VAR/ SouthWare partner gave me this msi file and it is version 10.0.0 - Is the current version 10.0.1? Maybe that could be the difference.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

No, I cited 10.0.1 as that's how this thread began. The 10.0.0 version from Southware should be virtually identical to trying with 10.0.1.
0 Likes
wrx7m Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I even tried specifying the install directory like you have but that didn't make a difference. Well, at least I know what the problem is. I tried having it automatically taskkill acuthin.exe in the next line of the bat file but it never gets past the msiexec line unless acuthin.exe is killed.

I have never had this problem with an msi file before. Even the previous version of acuthin didn't have this problem.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I went ahead and tested 10.0.0 I used a Command prompt (running as Administrator) and use:
msiexec /i "extend(R) Thin Client Version 10.0.0.msi" /qn INSTALLDIR=C:\myDir

It installs, uninstalls, and installs correctly - no EULA
0 Likes
wrx7m Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for testing. I can't figure out what the heck is going on with it. I have deployed tons of software over the years and never run into this issue LOL.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.