Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Lourens Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Invalid Function Parameter vutil32 -r -3 Filename

Jump to solution

I am getting the following error when trying to rebuild a file from vision version 5 to version 3  -  "Invalid function parameter" 

We are using runtime version 9.1.2.

Here is more info on the file :

SELECT MIS2FL

ASSIGN       TO RANDOM MIS2NAME

WITH ENCRYPTION COMPRESSION 

COMPRESSION CONTROL VALUE  70

ORGANIZATION IS INDEXED

ACCESS MODE  IS DYNAMIC

LOCK MODE    IS AUTOMATIC

FILE STATUS  IS DSTAT

RECORD KEY   IS MIS2KEY-NEW.

*(( XFD FILE = MIS2FL ))

FD  MIS2FL EXTERNAL 

RECORD IS VARYING IN SIZE FROM 610 TO 29689 CHARACTERS.

The FD consists of multiple record layouts.

Does anybody know why this happens?

I have now realized that the record length of one of the records is really  > 32767 bytes which is the limit. The compiler does not complain but I guess the big record is breaking the rebuild to vision version 3.

What would be the best way to address this problem?

UPDATE

I can define the size > 32767 when not using the bench designer and using the -ZI compiler option.

I can however still not rebuild the file to vision version 3. Still get the message  "Invalid function parameter"

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Lourens.

"Invalid function parameter"

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mhanson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Invalid Function Parameter vutil32 -r -3 Filename

Jump to solution

Vision 3 does not support records larger than 32K.  The compiler does not know which Vision file format you will be using, so it doesn't know that this will be a problem later.  If you want records larger than 32K in Vision, you must use one of the later file formats.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
mhanson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Invalid Function Parameter vutil32 -r -3 Filename

Jump to solution

Vision 3 does not support records larger than 32K.  The compiler does not know which Vision file format you will be using, so it doesn't know that this will be a problem later.  If you want records larger than 32K in Vision, you must use one of the later file formats.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.