Highlighted
Visitor.

License file wrun32.dll inaccessible after installing MS Office 365

New Problems with Microsoft.

After installing MS Office 365 Pro, the runtime can no longer be started. The error message is "License file wrun32.dll inaccessible".
Does anyone know this problem?

0 Likes
14 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor.

RE: License file wrun32.dll inaccessible after installing MS Office 365

Are you sure it's looking for wrun32.dll and not wrun32.alc? You may just need to re-run your license activator.

What runtime version are you using? License files for newer versions should be in "C:\ProgramData\Micro Focus\extend\10.0.1\x86" (for version 10.0.1, 32-bit - adjust accordingly for your version, and the last part would be x64 for 64-bit).

0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

Yes I'm sure. I also wondered what the DLL has to do with the license. The license file is correct and worked well before installing Office 365. My suspicion is that this could be a problem with the vcredist.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

The license error message specifying a dll doesn't make sense, and we haven't seen that before. Something is really skewed.
I suggest do a repair of your Acu installation, or a complete unintstall/reinstall.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm having a similar issue, re-installed cobol runtime and now it says "license file 'C:\ProgramData\Micro Focus\extend\10.0.1\x86\wrun32.alc' inacessible", even though file is in that location

I'm using Windows 10 Pro

0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

It sounds like your issue is a bit different from the OP's, as you re-installed the ACUCOBOL Runtime whereas he installed MSOffice 365 Pro.

In your case, you should confirm that what you've re-installed is the 32-bit version of the version 10.0.1 Runtime, and that the wrun32.alc file is in the exact location you've indicated. If you've installed the 64-bit version, it will look for its license file in the x64 (not x86) sub-directory.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have both 32 and 64 bit installed, the application I want to run is 32 bits
yes, both licenses are in their respective folders
'C:\ProgramData\Micro Focus\extend\10.0.1\x86\wrun32.alc' for 32 bits
'C:\ProgramData\Micro Focus\extend\10.0.1\x64\wrun32.alc' for 64 bits

I said similar, not same
0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

Ok, I understand, similar not same...

Try this: open a command prompt

Type "where wrun32" - this will show you the full path of the runtime it's trying to execute (if you've got it set in your PATH)

(the purpose here is to confirm which path - 32bit vs 64bit - it's using to find the executable. If it's not what you're expecting, you may need to go into your system settings and adjust the PATH variable accordingly. With both versions installed, it'll use whichever is listed first in the PATH)

Execute "wrun32.exe -vv" (that's two "v" characters, not a "w"; and you may have to include the full path, if it's not set in your PATH variable)

Capture a screen shot of the output and post it here.

Then, from the same command prompt, set the following environment variable:

set A_TRACE_LICENSE=1

Execute "wrun32.exe -vv" again

This should generate two separate screens (in succession) with some additional trace information, showing where it's looking for a license file.

Post screenshots of both, or you may see a clue that helps you out.

If still unsuccessful, you can manually copy the wrun32.alc file directly into the same directory as the wrun32.exe executable - typical location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Micro Focus\Extend 10.0.1\AcuGT\bin, but yours may differ.

This used to be where the license files were always created and accessed, but a few versions back they (Micro Focus) switched to using the ProgramData location instead. But the old location (same directory as the wrun32.exe) should still work.

Also, keep in mind that the 32-bit and 64-bit license files are NOT interchangeable, in case you've just copied one or the other into the new locations. You need to get separate license code/keys from Micro Focus for each of the two, and run the corresponding license activators for each.

Highlighted
Visitor.

We still have not solved our problem. I still believe that the real problem is not the license file, but a conflict of the vcredist installation.
For customer installations, we do not put the license file in the local directory of the client, but in the shared network directory in which wrun32.exe is located. This works for a long time in all current and previous versions of Microfocus Extend.
At our client all clients can work normally with the same [not similar ;-)) ] configuration. except for the clients with the latest version of Microsoft Office 365 installed.
We are currently trying to find a solution through Microsoft Support. I will inform you if that should succeed.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

"... in the shared network directory in which wrun32.exe is located"

That's an important piece of information. You'll need to check with Micro Focus Support on this, but I believe this is NOT a supported configuration. It may have been in the past but not any more. We used to also run this way, but when we upgraded from extend 8 to extend 10, we had to switch to installing the runtime (and license files) on every machine where it executes. In our case, we execute on a set of servers using Citrix to provide the UI to the end-users, so this wasn't a huge deal. If you're executing directly on client PC's, it'll be a bigger job.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

We also use this configuration for extend 10.1.
If that did not work, that would be a disaster, because then a silent installation would no longer be possible with hundreds of clients.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

We also place the license files into the same directory as the runtime using version 10.1, and haven't had any issues. Using the suggestion from above, and set A_TRACE_LICENSE=1, I do see that to find the 'currently installed directory', it looks for file wrun32.dll first. One of the line items in the trace is "Checking current directory and PATH for file: <path>\wrun32.dll.

Could that be your problem? Your PATH statement was changed? Or a different wrun32.dll was installed into a directory that is ahead of the path for wrun32.exe?

Dale

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.