Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
johnb Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Looking for a better report writer than Acubench

We have been succesfully porting our legacy app to the Thin Client but now need to replicate a lot of our reports. AcyBench is horrible when it comes to report writing. Is there an alternative for this? A large amount of our reports are written in troff but I am looking to have more reports that are written through the app and would be made availabel to the thin client user instead of having it done through the server.

0 Likes
5 Replies
johnb Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Looking for a better report writer than Acubench

I just wanted to add to this. Our legacy app is running on a SCO platform and all reports are generated through an enhanced troff product (Eroff) which is not available on the LINUX port we are moving to. We also have an app that runs on a LINUX server and accessed through Acuthin from the Windows Client. This is where we want to rebuild out reports and generate new ones but again AcuBench is severely limited in this area. There was a program called Totem at one point which looked identical to AcuBench but had better controls for writing reports. I have not seen that product mentioned anywhere. So any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Totem is not a Micro Focus product. You may consider looking at making your reports in a HTML or XML format, which could be made via a browser or turned into a PDF. Have you seen the AcuBench report designer (similar to the screen designer) or looked the XML extensions that are available in 9.x.

0 Likes
johnb Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We haven't looked at the XML extensions but html does not have the formatting we need.. The Report designer in Acubench leaves a lot to be desired. We have issues with the way it formats based on the browser settings. This is expected as it uses the default browser settings of the user. We have troff documents that we could redesigne and create a pdf on the server but we have issues with that as well.  But we would like to generate some new reports directly in the program for the user to get quickly, Now maybe that means we create the troff document and output it to a pdf on the server and then get it to the user to view and print but if you have ever worked with a troff document it is not trivial to build a table, add a bold line etc. Also trying to distribute the work load and get a non COBOL programmer to create the reports in and IDE.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I'll just add that you could use Microsoft tools such as Access or Excel, in that via ODBC (Acu ODBC and Acu ODBC Server) you can accees your Vision data on the Linux / Unix server.

0 Likes
softmerlino Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Do you solve?

I try jasper report.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.