Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Doc Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

One more Question With C$SYSTEM

It seems to lock up the called screen when using "96" until I exit out of that called program.

Tried using C$SYSTEM XXXXX FLAGS. (Flags has a value of 1)

Tried using C$SYSTEM XXXXX 1.

Tried using C$SYSTEM XXXXX CSYS-ASYNC.

None of these work when trying to use C$SYSTEM (Seems to work like a ENTER key)
What am I doing wrong?

0 Likes
9 Replies
GeorgeK Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: One more Question With C$SYSTEM

0 Likes
ShanePrice Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm not sure what your program is doing. The docs say you need to use CSYS-SHELL in Windows when the called program doesn't have an interface. You might try 97 to add the CSYS-ASYNC flag to what you are already using. I don't remember running into an instance where CSYS-ASYNC didn't immediately return control to the calling program so it would continue.

There is one trick you may want to try if using 97 for the flag doesn't work for you. In Windows, you can use "start" to run a program. Without the "/w" (wait) flag, it immediately returns control to the calling program. I've used this in batch files outside of AcuCOBOL. For your example, the AX-QUE value would begin with "start D:\AXIAR\UPRINT\ULP.EXE ...".
0 Likes
GeorgeK Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Do you know if this "Windows 126 bytes" is accurate; command line for windows is 8000+ bytes now. 1024 bytes is still accurate for Linux. I wonder what the ULP.EXE read, write, execute permissions and ownership are. I used C$SYSTEM to run VB.net and C#.net programs from Acucobol-GT. I put the VB.net exe and its DLL's and the C#.net exe and its DLL's on the Linux server and ran them on the Linux server from Acucobol-GT cobol obj's on the Linux server.
0 Likes
GeorgeK Absent Member.
Absent Member.

can't you use cmd "D:\AXIAR\UPRINT\ULP.EXE" I was using mysqlimport and mysql command from within Acucobol; same with cmd; I think you may use run command as well with C$SYSTEM
0 Likes
HighTouch Absent Member.
Absent Member.

we always use '129' instead of 96, works like a champ.
0 Likes
Doc Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Shane 97 worked like a champ Thanks for all your help.
HighTouch Absent Member.
Absent Member.

try the 129 too, just to eliminate whether it's good or bad reply
0 Likes
Doc Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

129 did not work
0 Likes
GeorgeK Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm wondering if you need to put quotes around the path such as like: "start 'D:\AXIAR\UPRINT\ULP.EXE' ...". The reason I think that may help is the path isn't likely in the system path; maybe it is getting confused without the internal quotes. Wouldn't be the first time. Don't we put quotes around the path and exe in C#, C++ ...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.