Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
RubenTenerife
New Member.

Opportunistic locking

Hi,

I'm trying to disable opportunistic locking, and I've been reading documentation in this same foro about it. My question is the next:

I'm using mapped drives to access to vision files (not acuserver).

Would it be enough by turning off opportunistic locking from client pc, or should I turn off opportunistic locking in the 'server' machine too?

The problem is that I never know if the opportunistic locking is disabled in the server machine, while I'm running the application from the client.

Thanks and regards

0 Likes
6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Opportunistic locking

The client PCs should have this turned off.

0 Likes
RubenTenerife
New Member.

Hi Shjerpe,

Would it be enough if I turn off it on client PC but it's turn on on the server?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Yes. I believe the server setting is for the situation where the server also goes and gets data through a mapped drive. In a Client to server, setting on the client is sufficient.

0 Likes
RubenTenerife
New Member.

For what I could read it looks that it's that way: just in the client machine. But I've also read an acucobol code where it is only disabled when the machine is the server.

Could it be because they are working with acuserver?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I believe the server in the example are either Terminal Services or Citrix type of setting, where you are not actually executing on your PC. You are in effect executing on the server and then if that server is using mapped drives to get to the data, the opportunistic locking on the server (Terminal Services or Citrix) needs to be disabled.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Think of it as an insurance policy ... If you disable on the server and the clients there's no way it will impose an oplock.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.