Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
PJO1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

PostgreSQL

Hello, there is a Customer demand for migration from Oracle to PostgreSQL with COBOL; Does a cobol microfocus precompiler exist with PostgreSQL ?

regards.  

pascal Jourdan

Architect Sopra Banking Software

Tour Manhattan-Courbevoie Ladéfense, France

+33155910497/+3361316573

0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: PostgreSQL

Acu Exrtend has a suite of development tools, including one called AcuSQL. AcuSQL consists of a SQL precompiler. The precompiler supports ANSI 2002 SQL syntax, it does not have any specialized knowledge or support for anything PostgreSQL may have made as far as SQL syntax. Different database vendors tend to extend the SQL they support. Any such PostgreSQL extensions are unknown and unsupported by AcuSQL. AcuSQL has  runtime libraries, in most cases people using PostgreSQL have use Linux, you can relink our runtime libraries with PostgreSQL so that the SQL calls are taken care of.

0 Likes
PJO1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the answer, I am not sure that I fully understand the thing:

What ACUSQL does more than Opensql pre-compiler included (I guess) in MF product ( unix or Windows) Does it includes the ODBC drivers for PostgreSQL ? I guess it's a PostgreSQL issue not MF ? regards

pascal Jourdan

+33155910497/+3361316573

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

We're really talking about two different sets of tools. Micro Focus has more than one flavor of COBOL, and the forum you posted to is for ACUCOBOL (acu extend). If you want to pursue Visual COBOL and PostGreSQL,then please post your question on this forum: community.microfocus.com/.../visual_cobol

Typically the COBOL vendor does not include any database software including drivers. The Acu compiler and AcuSQL parses SQL statements and turns them into CALL statements. The AcuSQL runtime needs to be relinked on Unix / Linux. For Microsoft environments, you just need to include the PostGreSQL dlls in your PTH so that the CALL statements are satisfied.

0 Likes
neidingd Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

if you use acucobol you can use OLE DB to access PostgeSQL

0 Likes
PJO1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thks, but I use Postgresql on Linux redhat,

pascal Jourdan

+33155910497/+3361316573

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.