Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
MichelM Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Report generator

I am looking for a report generator that is able to print graphics and distribute it to several clients like acubench
0 Likes
6 Replies
Pass5107 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: Report generator

Fytek has several products that work with Cobol, also RPV is another that I am aware of.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I would invest in AcuXDBC, which is a SQL engine for your COBOL files. Once you have that in place, you will have your choice of dozens of report writers (Microsoft Office, etc).

Tom Morrison
Consultant

0 Likes
dkl
New Member.

We are using List&Label without XDBC. Look at www.combit.net
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I too have experience with List & Label. It is a decent, feature rich product, although when I was using it (about 10 years ago) it had a few quirks. The software product in which L&L is embedded is still on the market, and I used it (to run a saved report) just about a month ago.

The main difference between L&L and AcuXDBC is the fact that L&L is a report application that keeps the COBOL developer involved in the report design process (because the L&L report designer is proprietary), while AcuXDBC is focused on providing the data in an open format (SQL). Even if you provide the L&L report designer to the end users, it remains proprietary and thus a training and support burden. L&L is Windows-only, whereas AcuXDBC supports other platforms.

So, MichelM, whether L&L is an appropriate product depends a lot on your (unstated) requirements. Bottom line is that L&L is a single point proprietary solution for reporting, on Windows; if that meets your needs, it will work well for you. AcuXDBC is what I would call an "enabling tool" that opens your application data to a large variety of uses, of which reporting is one.

Tom Morrison
Consultant

0 Likes
Bernd_Riemke Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I use L & L so that a CSV file from Cobol is generated and this can be used to generate the reports / charts / lists.
This allows the Cobol programmer to generate any data via CSV format and to generate and display the printer results from Cobol (Preview).
At the end, a PDF / TIF / etc. can generated automaticly . The advantage is clear: an adaptation of the pressure output is conceivably simple and can also be made by non-Cobol programmers.

Also, L & L could be accessed via SQL so the reports directly from a database could produce reports, charts and lists.
I have built the current state of L & L as well as an interface to it.

Best Regards

Bernd Riemke

0 Likes
MichelM Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

List&Label his capable to read vision filesystem?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.