Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Side effects of CLOSE_ON_EXIT

Jump to solution

Setting CLOSE_ON_EXIT to 1 will cause all non-print files to be closed upon EXIT PROGRAM.  That's the effect.  Are there also side effects?  I'm not sure.  It could be that if a file were shared by more than one program (EXTERNAL?) you would not want the EXIT of program A to close the file that is still in use by program B.  

An option to dump a list of still-open files when a program exits sounds like a useful enhancement request.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Setting CLOSE_ON_EXIT to 1 will cause all non-print files to be closed upon EXIT PROGRAM.  That's the effect.  Are there also side effects?  I'm not sure.  It could be that if a file were shared by more than one program (EXTERNAL?) you would not want the EXIT of program A to close the file that is still in use by program B.  

An option to dump a list of still-open files when a program exits sounds like a useful enhancement request.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
buggabill Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thank you, @shjerpe.  I do not like the idea of auto-magically closing files on exit.  I am just running into a few isolated incidents where previous developers have not cleaned up their messes.  Should I go through support to request that enhancement?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Yes, please contact Customer Care to raise an enhancement request.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.