Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The debugger will not stop when the variable changes, even though it is set to do so.

We code our programs in Acubench 8.1.3 and runtime is 8.0 on a virtual machine. The program is compiled with -Ga (and I have even tried -Gd). When debugging the program, I have it set to break when the value of a variable changes, however the debugger does not stop.

From time to time, we load different sets of data onto the vm's for testing purposes, and sometimes the debugger will work correctly and stop when the variable changes value.

This leads me to believe that there is a file or something that controls whether the debugger will actually stop when the value changes. Does anyone know where to find this or how we can make sure the debugger will stop when the variable changes (when it is set to do so)?

Thank you,

Melissa

Tags (2)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
New Member.

RE: The debugger will not stop when the variable changes, even though it is set to do so.

Melissa,
Is the change happening in the program where you set the breakpoint? If you're referring to an external or linkage item, I don't believe the monitor "follows" in to other programs (it just breaks when control returns to the program where you set the monitor and the value is different). We also have not had any luck watching a data item with a variable subscript (eg: ITEM-A(X) ). The debugger also doesn't show you the value of a constant.

-Chris
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: The debugger will not stop when the variable changes, even though it is set to do so.

You might look at the number of adb files you have. When you are logged in and using the debugger a melissa.adb or login-name.adb is made. It is possible that one of these adb files has the breakpoint set correctly and that is wht you only see it happen every now and then.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.