Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
steenj Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Thin Client Performance

Hi

We have a customer running thin client at Faroe Island and the Acurcl is based on our server in Copenhagen, version 9.2.1 and they are complaining about the performance.

Of course it is the connection, and they have a connection with 20 Mbit Down   and 10 Mbit up , but a slow ping  (around 65 ms). How much does this Ping influence in the performance. I have read about  AGS_RECEIVE_BUFFER_SIZE and AGS_SEND_BUFFER_SIZE but I can't se any changes in performance, when I change these settings. Has anybody got similar problems with slow Ping, and how have you optimized your system.
Is it possible to reach a satisfied performance with such a slow Ping ?
Does anybody know a good way to measure performance in a thin client environment ?
Best Regards

Steen

0 Likes
7 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Thin Client Performance

acuthin --ping server-name:port

will give you a dialog of how long acuthin takes to get to the server and back

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

AGS_SOCKET_COMPRESS variable can help address this issue. If the

speed of your computer is much higher than the speed of the network, then

the “ZLIB” setting for this variable may work well for you. However, if the

latency caused by compression time is higher than the latency in the network,

you may not gain much. RUNLENGTH compression is faster, but much less

is compressed.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Does the ping time change at all when using the ip address versus using the server name? Sometimes the Domain Name Server can slow the exchange down

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Shjerpe

Thanks for your input.

I can't see any difference using the ip adress versus the Server name.

I will try the ZLIB option. But I have a small question. I have a lot of other customers running on the same Acurcl, can I change the ZLIB option only for one port  number, or should I make the change  in the alias configuration file.

Steen

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hi

Now I have tried these. I have written

AGS_SOCKET_COMPRESS   ZLIB

in my configuration file.

And I have also changed the AGS_SOCKET_COMPRESS in the ACURCL config TAB to ZLIB (the default value was 255). And after these changes I have stopped and started the port. But when I make a debug output file, this line is listed

Set parameter 'AGS_SOCKET_COMPRESS' to 31

I don't know where 31 comes from, do you have any ideas ?

Regards

Steen

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Steen, Yes 31 is the internal number associated with ZLIB. As regards to having this on the default port,I would experiment with this "slow" network on a separate port until you have it resolved and then decide. I don't see how applying it to all would hurt, but I don't want to chance that it affects other customers.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.