Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
davide_stfc Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello, I'm relatively new to the world of AcuCOBOL.

I'm working on multi-thread programs (on Windows machine) and I was not able to understand the resulting behavior. So I have a couple of questions.

Does the runtime really create different system-threads for every COBOL-threads calls ?

If I have a cpu-intensive thread, does the runtime give in any case some resources to the other threads or I need to slow-down the first one (i.e. adding explicit sleep instructions) ?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Thread

Jump to solution

Threading has been available in Acu for sometime, it is a proprietary implementation. However, the runtime is not a thread-safe executable and this is one of the reasons that Acu hasn't been able to leverage O/S that do provide multi-threading like Hyper-V. If you can de-couple the programs that perform a huge amount of delete on three different files ... perhaps you can run them using C$SYSTEM or C$RUN or use AcuConnect Distributed processing to run these file intensive programs while the GUI program continues to run as well.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Consider the runtime is a single executable and that traditionally a COBOL program would do it's call sub-programs sequentially .. by using threads the COBOL program can call a sub-program and have that program run while the caller program is still running. The threading is done within the runtime, the runtime does not leverage any system routines (such as Hyper-V). The runtime does not monitor nor is it aware of what load your program or programs need, that is up to you to manage. With threads you can also use messages so you can make your sub-programs report what their status is (i.e.75% done).

0 Likes
davide_stfc Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Ok.

If the runtime does not create system-thread I assume that my applications does not take advantage of using multi-core CPU. And I cannot use any Windows thread-scheduling knowledge.

My actual problem is exactly related to the visualization of the percentage. The background worker thread consumes a lot of resources (CPU and I/O) and the graphical window remaining freezed (e.g. 10%) until the thread ends.

Could  the variables IO_SWITCH_PERIOD and DISPLAY_SWITCH_PERIOD be useful ?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

For the single execution of the rutime, yes it does not take advantage of using multi-core CPU. However, when you have mutiple runtimes executing, the O/S may take advantage of using multi-core CPU.

It is possible that IO_SWITCH_PERIOD and DISPLAY_SWITCH_PERIOD may be useful, you'd have to experimant to see if they help you. If the load issue is based on calling a program that makes a report you might consider using AcuConnect Distributed processing (even though AcuConnect would be on the same server as the runtime) and C$ASYNCRUN - Call C$ASYNCRUN along with your remote applications to allow AcuConnect to run asynchronously... this would allow your report program to run effectively independent of the display program.

0 Likes
picci Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi shjerpe, i'm a Davide's colleague. Thank you for your replies, but what davide was trying to find out is why a cpu intensive thread frezees al others running threads. In particular we have a background worker thread that perform a huge amount of delete on three different files; when this thread starts (on pcs that are 2 or 3 years dated)  the GUI become totally unresponsive and by clicking on any button Windows says that the window is not responding. We already know that the background thread is still working but our costumer doesn't, so they directly kill the wrun32 process. Please don't answer to try out "mass update", "bulk addition" or so; we already tried and they just make the process even worse as they take such a CPU load on the server that even other terminals that try to connect have speed degradation.

We are just trying to figure out how the multithreading works on Acu runtime, and if it is a real multithread (like you can achieve using any other language like C++, C#, Java, Python and so on) or it is a proprietary implementation that tries to emulate it.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Threading has been available in Acu for sometime, it is a proprietary implementation. However, the runtime is not a thread-safe executable and this is one of the reasons that Acu hasn't been able to leverage O/S that do provide multi-threading like Hyper-V. If you can de-couple the programs that perform a huge amount of delete on three different files ... perhaps you can run them using C$SYSTEM or C$RUN or use AcuConnect Distributed processing to run these file intensive programs while the GUI program continues to run as well.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
picci Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Ok we understood. But the goal in using multithreading is to perform multiple procedures with the perception of doing them concurrently; does it exist a way in acucobol to have a threaded procedure that executes many i/o without freezing the main thread on dated PCs? C$SYSTEM or C$RUN is not a suitable option.

0 Likes
DMiller1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Add this to your background process.

accept is-there-a-key-pressed from input status.

You won't actually do anything with the result from input status for your situation. The accept frominput status will return control to the windows os for a brief time.  Basically your program will be 'checking in' to say that it is still alive.

Here is our solution in context...

77  is-there-a-key-pressed      pic 9.

88 there-is-a-key-pressed   value 1 when false 0.

--------------------

start x-file

invalid set eof to true

not invalid set eof to false

end-start

perform until eof

perform check-for-excape-key-press

if i-want-to-quit

set eof to true

else

read x-file

end-if

end-perform.

------------------------    

check-for-escape-key-press.

set i-want-to-quit to false

PERFORM CHECK-FOR-KEY-PRESS.

IF ESCAPE-FUNC

SET ESCAPE-FUNC TO FALSE

PERFORM DO-YOU-WANT-TO-QUIT

IF YES-ENTERED

set i-want-to-quit to true

end-if

end-if.

check-for-key-press.

set there-is-a-key-pressed to false

move spaces to key-being-pressed

accept is-there-a-key-pressed from input status.

if there-is-a-key-pressed

accept key-being-pressed LINE 1 POS 1 OFF time 1 auto.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Threading certainly allows you to have multiple programs processing concurrently. Let's discuss your I/O .. where are the data files .. I'll take a guess that they are on a mapped drive (i.e. Z:) .. one of the underlying issues with using a mapped drive will be performance and potentially file corruption .. are your data files residing on a mapped drive? If so, have you tried using AcuServer? Many of our customers present a "progress bar" type of dialog when their application does something intensive. This would present a clue to the user to wait until the progress bar disappears and then their screen is ready for user input.

0 Likes
picci Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Data are on the same local drive of the wrun32 and we perform this process in thread just because we don't want our users to wait for procedure ending, otherwise we could have put this procedure in the main thread with a progress bar avoiding any kind of multithreading coplexity.

However the workaround suggested by DMiller seems to work, the procedure in thread is a bit slowed down but at least it doesn't freeze anymore.

Thank you for support.

0 Likes
DougP Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

I apologize for being late in responding.  Setting the Runtime configuration "FILE_IO_PEEKS_MESSAGES" to "ON" or "FILE_IO_PROCESSES_MESSAGES" to "ON" usually helps prevent locked up screens during heavy i-o.

0 Likes
DMiller1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

"FILE_IO_PEEKS_MESSAGES" must be newer than my (printed) version 7 documentation.  Which version of the runtime is needed to begin using this configuration variable, i.e. when did it become available?  Also, can it be turned on and off with a "set environment" statement?  

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Looks like 7.2.0 ... SUBJECT: Windows XP "Not Responding" ghost window during FILE I/O

Change Number:  ECN-3146

Type of Change: Correction

Priority:       Medium

Date:        2005-06-22

Product:     ACUCOBOL-GT

Module:      wrun32.dll

New Version: 7.2.0

Machines Affected: Windows

Known Versions Affected: All

DESCRIPTION of problem or enhancement:

If your application spends more than a few seconds outside of an ACCEPT

statement, Windows XP will replace your application window with a ghost

window appending "(Not Responding)" to the window's title. The user can move,

resize or close the ghost window but not do anything else until the

application goes into an ACCEPT statement. Closing the ghost window will

tell the application to exit or display a dialog box allowing the user to

end the process if the application does not exit on its own.

To prevent Windows XP from creating this ghost window during FILE I/O you can

set the runtime configuration variable FILE-IO-PROCESSES-MESSAGES to "1".

However, this can cause keystrokes to be lost or to be queued for the next

classical (non-graphical) ACCEPT statement instead of being sent to the next

active graphical control.

This ECN adds a configuration varible, FILE_IO-PEEKS-MESSAGES, that

when set to "1" (on, true, yes) tells the Windows runtime to automatically

call the Windows PeekMessage() API function in between file operations.

The runtime calls PeekMessage() with flags that tell it to simply check for

messages without removing them from the message queue. This is enough to let

Windows know that the application is still alive and still responding.

0 Likes
DMiller1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thanks,  I'll revise our minimum requirements for windows and begin windows load testing with the 7.2 runtime.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.