Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Using AcuCOBOL-GT to create bar coded documents

Jump to solution

We have a need to use barcodes to enable us to identify our documents not only to our customers but also for archival purposes.

As we, at Galvins Plumbing have not converted to use barcodes in the past, we do not have any programs from before 2007 which shows how this can be done.

Is there anyone who can assist me with a sample program for creating barcodes in COBOL program produced documents?

I very much appreciate your assistance in my quest.

Geoffrey Hashman

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

RE: Using AcuCOBOL-GT to create bar coded documents

Jump to solution

Hi Geoffrey,

The easy way is to find an EAN font (barcode) and to use it as a font like llike Arial for example for printing with the WIN$PRINTER function.

You can also have a look on this KB

kb.microfocus.com/article.aspx

I hope it helps

Regards

Dominique

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi Geoffrey,

The easy way is to find an EAN font (barcode) and to use it as a font like llike Arial for example for printing with the WIN$PRINTER function.

You can also have a look on this KB

kb.microfocus.com/article.aspx

I hope it helps

Regards

Dominique

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Some Barcodes needs a checksum. When you use a font to print barcode you have to calculate the checksume.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

I don't agree with you, neidingd! You are partly right. Some barcodes needs a checksum, like code 39, etc, But nowadays the users do not need to calculate the checksum by themselves now. Many barcode generators can calculate the checksum automaticlly. So users do not need to worry about  this. I am not saying that there are no barcode generators that need users to calculate the checksum by themselves. I mean we can choose barcode generators which make us do not worry about this. Make full use of google. We can find many good barcode generators.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

i didn't talk from a barcode generator.

My reply was for Dominique's answer, and when you print directly with a barcode-font you have to generate the checksume if needed.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.