Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
DWrightson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Vision files in C#

Jump to solution

Hello All,

I was wondering if there was a way to read indexed vision files directly in a C# program, without the use of the XDBC program?

Thanks

Dave

0 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.

RE: Vision files in C#

Jump to solution
Thanks, I've gotten a copy of the Vision File System Interface, and I can get the testvis.c program to compile in Visual Studio 2015, though I do get several warnings when I do so. The ones that concern me are the following:
Warning C4013 'SetLArgv0' undefined; assuming extern returning int
Warning C4013 'ACSetValueShort' undefined; assuming extern returning int
Warning C4013 'ACSetValueLong' undefined; assuming extern returning int

I follow the instructions and copy the testvis.vlc license file into the executable directory, but when I run the compiled program it fails on the call to v5_init(), returning a 0 code. Have you used this tool in the past, and if so, is there anything I should be looking at here to rectify the problem? It looks to me like something might be missing from the project, or not setup properly.

Thanks

Dave

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mhanson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
The warnings are due to missing prototypes for those functions. You can add these lines after the #include files to avoid them:

extern void SetLArgv0(const char *);
extern void ACSetValueShort(const char *, int, short);
extern void ACSetValueLong(const char *, int, long);

As for the v5i_init() failure you should contact technical support to make sure you have the correct license for your installation. There isn't much else that would cause v5i_init() to fail so a license mismatch is the most likely explanation.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

There is. The ACUCOBOL-GT runtime can be called by a C# program (we provide an interface called wrunet.dll). This would allow to have COBOL do the I-O and returns results to C#.

We also have a Vision File System Interface (written in C). You have to contact your Sales Rep as a Non-disclosure is involved when using the FSI.

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thanks, I've gotten a copy of the Vision File System Interface, and I can get the testvis.c program to compile in Visual Studio 2015, though I do get several warnings when I do so. The ones that concern me are the following:
Warning C4013 'SetLArgv0' undefined; assuming extern returning int
Warning C4013 'ACSetValueShort' undefined; assuming extern returning int
Warning C4013 'ACSetValueLong' undefined; assuming extern returning int

I follow the instructions and copy the testvis.vlc license file into the executable directory, but when I run the compiled program it fails on the call to v5_init(), returning a 0 code. Have you used this tool in the past, and if so, is there anything I should be looking at here to rectify the problem? It looks to me like something might be missing from the project, or not setup properly.

Thanks

Dave

0 Likes
mhanson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
The warnings are due to missing prototypes for those functions. You can add these lines after the #include files to avoid them:

extern void SetLArgv0(const char *);
extern void ACSetValueShort(const char *, int, short);
extern void ACSetValueLong(const char *, int, long);

As for the v5i_init() failure you should contact technical support to make sure you have the correct license for your installation. There isn't much else that would cause v5i_init() to fail so a license mismatch is the most likely explanation.

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thanks for the help, I found that I was using a 9.24 version of acme.lib and avision5.lib, and this version of acme.lib seems to have been missing the some of the necessary methods. I grabbed an old 6.10 version of these files and was able to run the C program and have it create the vision file. Now that I've got that working, I want to take the C code and create a C# program that does the same thing using the dlls instead of the libraries. I've got a quick shell thrown together, however the call to v5_init() is always returning 0. Here's the code:

using System.Runtime.InteropServices;
using System.Windows.Forms;

namespace VisionInterface
{
class Program
{
[DllImport("C:\\Users\\t850681\\Documents\\Visual Studio 2015\\Projects\\VisionInterface\\VisionInterface\\obj\\x86\\Debug\\acme.dll", CallingConvention = CallingConvention.Cdecl)]
public static extern void SetLArgv0([MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPStr)] string progName);
[DllImport("C:\\Users\\t850681\\Documents\\Visual Studio 2015\\Projects\\VisionInterface\\VisionInterface\\obj\\x86\\Debug\\avision5.dll", CallingConvention = CallingConvention.Cdecl)]
public static extern int v5_init();
static void Main(string[] args)
{
string exeName = System.Diagnostics.Process.GetCurrentProcess().MainModule.FileName + char.MinValue;
SetLArgv0(exeName);
if(v5_init() == 0)
MessageBox.Show("v5_init failed");
}
}
}
Has anyone tried this with C# and had any success? Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Dave
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
After much head scratching, I've managed to get the v5_init to work, directory issues, and issues regarding the name of the .vlc file. Now I'm stuck on the v5_open call to open the file. It's supposed to return an IFilePtr in C, which looks to me like is should just be an IntPtr in C#, so long as I don't care about the underlying structure. However, this call keeps returning 0, and does not open the file output. Code follows:
using System;
using System.IO;
using System.Runtime.InteropServices;
using System.Windows.Forms;

namespace VisionInterface
{
class Program
{
#region acme.dll
[DllImport("acme.dll", CallingConvention = CallingConvention.Cdecl)]
public static extern void SetLArgv0([MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPStr)] string progName);
public static extern void ACSetValueLong([MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPStr)]
string variableName,
int constInt,
long value);
public static extern void ACSetValueShort([MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPStr)]
string variableName,
int constInt,
short value);
#endregion
#region avision5.dll
[DllImport("avision5.dll", CallingConvention = CallingConvention.Cdecl)]
public static extern int v5_init();
[DllImport("avision5.dll", CallingConvention = CallingConvention.Cdecl)]
public static extern IntPtr v5_open([MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPStr)]string fileName, int mode, [MarshalAs(UnmanagedType.LPStr)]string lParams);

#endregion
#region Constants
public const int Finput = 0;
public const int Foutput = 1;
public const int Fio = 2;
public const int Fextend = 3;

#endregion
static void Main(string[] args)
{

Directory.SetCurrentDirectory("C:\\Users\\t850681\\Documents\\Visual Studio 2015\\Projects\\VisionInterface\\VisionInterface\\obj\\x86\\Debug\\");
string exeName = System.Reflection.Assembly.GetEntryAssembly().Location;
SetLArgv0(exeName);
if(v5_init() == 0)
MessageBox.Show("v5_init failed");
ACSetValueLong("V_BUFFERS", 0, 512L);
ACSetValueShort("V_VERSION", 0, 5);
string fileName = Directory.GetCurrentDirectory() + "\\test.vis";
IntPtr fileHandle = v5_open(fileName, 1, "10,10,1");
}
}
}
0 Likes
mhanson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
[deleted]
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
So turns out the issue was that the file didn't exist. Opening a file output through this method does not create the file, as it does normally when opening output. I had to add a call to v5_make first, and then it worked. like a charm.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.