Highlighted
Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Vutil rebuild error lost records

Jump to solution

I am tying to run the vutil - rebuild  with k K0, k1 , k2.

Essentially I am losing records. One of the links in community center says we need to write Cobol program.  Would be really helpful if any of teh members can share a sample file or utility that helps rebuild this.

This program would have the form:

Open input Original-File

Open output Master-File

Start Original-File at Low Values

Read Original-File Next Record

* Set Declaratives so that error 98's are trapped , and

* the response is to increment the current key by 1 in the

* least significant digit, and the start is re-tried.

* Code your Start with an Invalid Key phrase which does

* the same thing.

Write Master-File.

the runtime configuration option, "ERRORS-OK" will need to be set to 1 in order to open the corrupt file.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Vutil rebuild error lost records

Jump to solution

Did you see this post I made .. 

Unfortunately there's no single or guaranteed way to recover records from a broken file.  For example, if half the data segment has been overwritten with zeros, those records obviously aren't being recovered.  You may or may not have luck using our standard tools to access the file, depending on how it is corrupted.

They said that you tried vutil rebuild -k0, -k1, -k2, but they didn't say -k3 (info says 4 keys), or with no -k option to read the records directly from the file.  Make sure they try those two options.

Another thing you can try is vutil -unload with -k on each of the keys, and with -r to read the records directly from the data segment.  Then, take each of the unloaded record files and try to vutil -load them into a new file using the -s option to ignore duplicates.  This may give you an idea of how many records have not been recovered from the file.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
18 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

What version of Vision do you use, Version 3, 4, 5? Have you tried using vutil --slow  ? Are your files using compression and if so, what % of compression and for how long? vutil can remove compression. If you've been compressing files at a high percentage for long time, the may be data in the file that aren't actually records.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry if I am asking some basic questions, as I am new to this environment.

1. How can I check the version of Vision?

2. Here is the info of the file I am trying to rebuild

# of records: 148967
# of deleted records: 0 (0+0)
file size: 33329664 (/home/kumar/test/restored/osfile)
file size: 12193792 (/home/kumar/test/restored/osfile.vix)
total file size: 45523456
segment size: 1073740288
record size: 380 compressed
# of keys: 4
user count: 6

I just tried with vuit - rebuild filename and vuitl - rebuil -k 0, vuitil -rebuild --slow filename. All these returned records lost.

I am not sure how to use this ifno -  what % of compression and for how long? vutil can remove compression

Appreciate any help please.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

vutil -info   will provide the Vision version, since you have both data and key files - your data is at least Version 4

The output shows user count of 6 which means that the files was not closed correctly - people doing cntl-alt-del of kill signal on Unix / Linux

vutil -zero will reset your user count

vutil -rebuild -c will remove compression

finally, do have the Select and FD for this file. If so you can use the Acu compiler to make an XFD. Then you can use a utility program we provide called alfred. Using alfred and an xfd allows you to see each record. And edit the record if you choose to.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Jump to solution

Please see below info of teh file.

1. Version of vision is 5

2. I reset the user count to 0 vutil -zero and tried vutil -rebuild. It still shows data loss

3. Also I tried vutil -rebuild -c filename. Shows data loss.

Really appreciate if you can help me understand the Select and FD for this file. How can I can use the Acu compiler to make an XFD and proceed further o recovery, please. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

A select statement defines the file and it's keys.

SELECT FD1
ASSIGN TO DISK "osfile"
ORGANIZATION IS INDEXED
ACCESS MODE IS RANDOM
FILE STATUS IS my-stat
RECORD KEY IS FD1-name.

Now the FD defines the data layout of the items in the file

FD FD1.
01 FD1-rec.
   05 FD1-name PIC x(20).
   05 date-test.
          10 FD1-day PIC 9(2).
          10 FD1-mnth PIC 9(2).
          10 FD1-year PIC 9(2).

Many COBOL shops have these as copybooks, it's possible you may have osfile.sl and osfile.fd but your file extensions may differ. If you have the files or the program that contains the Select and FD for osfile, then compile that program using -Fx

ccbl -fx myprog.cbl   or ccbl32 -fx  myprogcbl  - the output of that compile would make osfile.xfd.   You can use alfred without an xfd but it much more intuitive when you have an xfd.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thank you for the response.

I will look to see if we have the Cobol program with select and fd.

Once we have the xfs, how can I get alfred utility to use the file, please. Thank you once again

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Not sure if you're on Unix/Linux or Windows. On Unix/Linux, wherever the Acu is installed, there should be a tools directory, same level as the bin directory. If there is alfred.acu is in there You use the runtime runcbl alfred  - alfred presents 2 entry-fields, the first for the location and name of the file, the 2nd for the location and name of the xfd - from that point alfred has menus to do starts based on keys and their values.  See Unix security, as alfred has the ability to edit files

https://supportline.microfocus.com/000/alfred_users_guide_tcm21-18377.pdf

On Windows, you'll find it as a sample program.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Unfortunately there's no single or guaranteed way to recover records from a broken file.  For example, if half the data segment has been overwritten with zeros, those records obviously aren't being recovered.  You may or may not have luck using our standard tools to access the file, depending on how it is corrupted.

They said that you tried vutil rebuild -k0, -k1, -k2, but they didn't say -k3 (info says 4 keys), or with no -k option to read the records directly from the file.  Make sure they try those two options.

Another thing you can try is vutil -unload with -k on each of the keys, and with -r to read the records directly from the data segment.  Then, take each of the unloaded record files and try to vutil -load them into a new file using the -s option to ignore duplicates.  This may give you an idea of how many records have not been recovered from the file.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Jump to solution

OK. I am able to locate an existing osfle.xfs. Can you suggest where I can download alfred tool for Windows, please. Thank you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

what version of the runtime due you have for Windows?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Jump to solution

Sorry, Realized that there is no AcuCobol run time environment on Windows. I tried onLinux.

It shows error Can't find entry for 'xterm' in '/etc/a_termcap'...

Thank you.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.