Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

W$MESSAGEBOX documentation

Jump to solution

I'm modifying an old program that makes use of W$MESSAGEBOX, and I'm not able to find any documentation on it. I'd specifically like to know if the string containing the message to be shown needs to be terminated with low-values. The fact that it's not documented or included in a list of AcuCOBOL library routines makes me wonder if we should be using something else instead.

Is anyone familiar with W$MESSAGEBOX and know why it can't be found in the documentation? Is it deprecated and there's something else we should use instead?

Thanks.

0 Likes
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: W$MESSAGEBOX documentation

Jump to solution

I do not believe you need to terminate the string you are using with low-values. I believe the W$MESSAGEBOX routine was made as a method to display a message (whether the platform was GUI or character). I do not know why it did not get documented. There is a sample program that uses it ... \AcuGT\sample\message.cbl

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

Jump to solution

I'm pretty sure W$MessageBox was deprecated in favor of the DISPLAY MESSAGE BOX statement (see Format 15 of the DISPLAY statement in Chapter 6, Section 6.6 of the ACUCOBOL-GT Reference Manual).

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

I do not believe you need to terminate the string you are using with low-values. I believe the W$MESSAGEBOX routine was made as a method to display a message (whether the platform was GUI or character). I do not know why it did not get documented. There is a sample program that uses it ... \AcuGT\sample\message.cbl

0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

Jump to solution

I'm pretty sure W$MessageBox was deprecated in favor of the DISPLAY MESSAGE BOX statement (see Format 15 of the DISPLAY statement in Chapter 6, Section 6.6 of the ACUCOBOL-GT Reference Manual).

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thanks for the answers. This old program I was working on seems to be a modified version of message.cbl. I'll give DISPLAY MESSAGE BOX a try and see how that looks.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.