Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
aw_muench Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Web-browser vs. IE version

The documentation gives the impression that the web-browser control works with the IE version installed on the client:

For the control to work, your users must have Microsoft Internet Explorer Version 4.0 or later on their machine.

But I don't think that's true.

The web-browser shows IE7 and this is not even installed on my computer, I'm working with Windows10 and IE11.

My question is: Can you set or have you infuence on the IE version that the browser-control is using ?

Thanks.

0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

RE: Web-browser vs. IE version

Can you set or have you infuence on the IE version that the browser-control is using ? No. Using the browser control in your ACUCOBOL-GT program provides you with a very basic browser, that does not have the features of Internet Explorer.
The web-browser control is based on a fundamental Windows browser control. Internet Explorer is based on the same fundamental Windows browser control. Microsoft have added a lot of functionality onto that fundamental control for each version of Internet Explorer that they created. Most Microsoft installs include the fundamental browser control, but that may not have been true 10 years ago (perhaps longer) or so, so the docs were trying to indicate that installing even a very early version of I.E would make sure that the browser control became available to your ACUCOBOL-GT program. I hope this helps.

0 Likes
davide_stfc Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We thinks that the problem is related to the Compatibility View of the IE ActiveX.

It is set to default at 7.0.

We try several times to working with a specific registry key to change this behaviour, but without real stable result.

In our case, we add to our html pages the following tag to force IE to use his highest compatibility view:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge" />

It is possible only if the pages is create by yourself.

0 Likes
aw_muench Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi Davide,

thanks for the tip. As I need it only to show html pages that I've created it works for me perfectly.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.