Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
DWrightson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Windows 10 Screen Refresh Issue

Hello,

We're running runtime version 9.2.4 in a Windows 10 environment, and have run into a strange occurrence where it seems as though a portion of the screen stops updating. We're connecting to the server via thin client, and the application is in use all day long.

The portion of the screen circled here stops updating, while the rest of the screen remains responsive. Once the screen gets in this state, floating windows no longer appear on screen either, though the code is still behaving like they're there. For instance, when subtotaling a transaction we'd pop-up a window that the user has to hit enter or clear on on to proceed, the application waits for the key press like the window is there even though it's not visible, before proceeding. The circled controls are a grid, and a label, nothing out of the ordinary occurs other than the display issues mentioned. Has anyone else experienced an issue like this? Any idea what I should look for here to troubleshoot the issue?

Thanks

Dave

0 Likes
5 Replies
DougP Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

RE: Windows 10 Screen Refresh Issue

Hi Dave,
You should upgrade to version 10 as 9.2.4 is not supported on Windows 10. I can't say for sure this issue is version related but we need to get you on a supported version ASAP.
Cheers,
-Doug
0 Likes
DWrightson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Doug! Thanks for the suggestion, we received a trial version of 10.2.1, and have gotten the same results. The Thin Client executable appears to be bleeding memory, up until we hit 40-45000kb, then the application falls into this state. I've been trying to troubleshoot the memory leak, but have been unsuccessful so far. My next step is to rebuild our application using 10.2.1 compiler to see if I get some different results, we'd still been running code compiled for version 8.1.3 up to this point.
0 Likes
Pass5107 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

There was a similar bug in 10.2.0 I wonder if they missed the patch for 10.2.1
0 Likes
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Unlikely that we missed a patch for 10.2.1 (though not impossible).

To answer the question about getting memory descriptions, you can set environment variables in order to track memory. Do this before starting AcuThin.exe.

set A_MEM_DESC=3
set A_MEM_DESC_FILE=\path\to\your\memdesc\file

AcuThin itself won't execute the code to do the final memory dump, but when acme.dll detects the process ending, it will do that dump itself. I haven't tried this, so this may not be useful.

If you can use the Task Manager to show AcuThin increasing in memory, you should raise an RPI.

Finally, recall that there is a difference between a memory leak (we lose the reference, and CANNOT ever release the memory) vs hogging memory (we still have a reference to the memory, but for whatever reason aren't releasing it). The latter may actually be a COBOL issue and not an AcuThin issue. The memdesc report might be able to show which this is.
0 Likes
DougP Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Happy New Year Dave! I'm following up to see if you were able to implement the memory tracing suggested by Randy. If so, did it help? Has the issue been resolved?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.