Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Windows 7 Freezes when running with Novell and Acu

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 15 April 2011]

Hi,

I have a site which is running on Novell. The server is running on Novell 6.3. The workstation is running on windows 7. We are running Novell client 2 service pack 1 on the workstations. We have also downloaded patch 2IR6 for Novell.
The problem is that the Windows 7 machines freeze when we run Acu. We then have to restart the computers. We are using Acu 8.1.3. All the xp machines on the network are fine - i.e. no freezes.
Can anybody shed some light on this.

Thanks in advance.

Medasha
0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

RE: Windows 7 Freezes when running with Novell and Acu

you posted the same question in the old forum 1 year ago 🙂
http://www.acucorp.com/support/supported/customer_forum/showthread.php?t=1711&highlight=novell

and i think it's not an acu cobol problem. Because the problem exists also with non-acu software.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes I did. So you can understand my frustration at this point :-). I have checked the novell forum - there are alot of posts about freezing with windows 7, but no solutions that seem to sort it out. Do you have any info that may assist.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

not really, we change 2 years ago to windows server.
Novell 4.11 was great, with all later version we had many problems and the mix with windows rdp connections and novell server, fat clients and so on produced many problems.

For example a normal windows client produced other file-status then the rdp-client.
We found for us after a lot of time a way to go with novell (no 100% solution), but never used novell with windows 7.

- Find a Client which works, for us worked a older client
- In the Novell Windows Client are many options which can produce problems. Find the correct settings for you (file caching for example).

I googled short, windows 7 seems to have also problems with file caching from novell.

4.12 Potential System Crash with File Caching Enabled
When accessing files from a Novell server, under certain conditions the Windows machine may potentially freeze or blue screen. This issue is known to be related to the File Caching functionality in the Novell Client, but no corrective fix is currently available to eliminate this issue if it occurs.

To work around this issue, do the following:.

1.Right-click the Red N in the System Tray.

2.Click Novell Client Properties.

3.Select the Advanced Settings tab.

4.Select File Caching and set it to off.

For additional information, see TID 3532535.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We encountered the "blue" screen as well. Downloaded a patch from Novell (2IR6). That resolved the blue screen, but the windows 7 computers are still freezing intermittently. Thanks for your input so far - much appreciated.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

disabling file caching also dosn't help?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

No. Disabling caching does not help either. We have tried logging the problem with Acu support and Novell support. No solutions as yet.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Finally resolved this issue. Downloaded Novell Client Interim release version 7 and the freezing has stopped. 🙂
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Seems like we were wrong. The user initially reported that the freezing had stopped, but then 2 days later the freezing started again - despite the Novell patch being downloaded. Is anyone else experiencing this ?

Thanks

Medasha
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.