Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Xcentricity XBIS minimum version for Server 2012 R2

We are looking at upgrading some of our internal servers; currently we have Xcentricity XBIS running on Server 2008, tried installing version 10.0.0 on on Server 2012 R2.  IIS does not serve up the srf pages, as if IIS doesn't recognize what the srf is.  When I use "XBIS /SHOWSERVER", I get "Show server failed: Class not registered".  When I try to register using "XBIS /REGSERVER", I get "Server rmcbl12r.dll registration failed: the specified module could not be found".

Should version 10.0.0 work with Server 2012 R2 or do I need a later version?

Or is there a dependency that is not installed? 

Thanks for any suggestions.

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Xcentricity XBIS minimum version for Server 2012 R2

I would think that V10.0.0 would work on Windows 2012 server. Once installed does the verify program respond?

It's possible it is an IIS ISAPI setting

To narrow the problem, turn on tracing by adding this tag to your .srf file:

{{ Trace(start, page) }}

Then, refresh the page. You should now see a table headed Request Details at the end of the page. Scroll down to Trace Information and look for Service in the left-most column.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Thanks for the quick reply.

No, the verify does not work.  Opening a browser to http://127.0.0.1/acuxbis/samples/default.srf gives

HTTP Error 404. The requested resource is not found.

I modified the default.srf to add the trace line at the beginning, as follows:

{{ Trace(start, page) }}
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html>

The result in the browser is the same; error 404 with no other information.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

To me, it looks like IIS is not configured correctly.  In recent versions of Windows Server, IIS is locked down, and you have to enable each "feature" separately.  BIS requires that ISAPI Filters and ISAPI Exensions be enabled,

I don't remember if 10.0.0 has the BISMKAPP configuration tool that works much better with IIS v7+.  If not, you'll also have to enable "IIS Metabase and IIS 6 Configuration Compatibility" in the IIS configuration so BISMKDIR can talk to IIS 7+.  BISMKAPP talks to IIS 7+ without this layer, but I don't know which version first contained this program.

This documentation page https://www.microfocus.com/documentation/extend-acucobol/1020/extend-Interoperability-Suite/GUID-BAE54F4A-4E33-4BBF-9B88-A15ABA86486F.html contains a list of the IIS features that should be enabled. They aren't all necessary, but enabling these features will allow BIS to install properly.

I have attached a .BAT file that, when run as administrator, should properly configure IIS with the necessary "features".  Again, it enables more than is strictly necessary (like the IIS 6 support that 10.3 doesn't need but 10.0 might).  It's a .BAT file so you'll have to extract it from the .ZIP file (can't attach .BAT files directly here).

Don't forget to reinstall or repair BIS after updating IIS, either manually or with the script.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Thanks once again.

I ran the batch file, ensuring I had administrator rights.  It appears to have run, with no errors.  I did verify that the options for IIS Management Compatibility and IIS6 Metabase compatibility are active on the server.I then uninstalled XBIS and re-installed it, re-entering the license codes.  Again, no errors were reported.

However, the verify srf still doesn't load - same results as before (error 404).  However, now even the default IIS page doesn't open - if I open the browser to http://127.0.0.1/ it used to display the generic IIS page; now this also returns an error 404.  So, to my inexperienced eye, it looks like IIS itself is not even responding any longer.  (Same with http://localhost, of course).  The localhost response was cached, in fact, so I could see the IIS screen until I hit CTRL-F5 to do a hard refresh, and now I consistently get an error 404.

If I look in IIS settings in server manager, I see XBIS extend 10.0.0 running in application pools; beyond that, I'm lost in IIS and I don't even know where to go.  It's concerning that the default IIS page doesn't come up any longer; that makes me wonder if the batch file changed something that prevents that?

Incidentally, there is a file BISMkApp.exe in the AcuGT\bin folder; looking at the instructions for it, though, I don't know what I would set.  The default folder of \inetpub\wwwroot\acubis10 should be fine; we have our files in a folder under acubis10, exactly as we do on our 2008 server (using folder acuxbis).

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

The batch file only enables "features" and capabilities to IIS.  It doesn't alter the metabase, applications, or virtual directories. 

The fact that you no longer see the default IIS page does indicate the IIS server is not running or the default application pool has not been started.  You can start an application pool by right-clicking and selecting start.  You can also stop and start the IIS server with:

NET STOP W3SVC
NET START W3SVC

The individual application pools will stop if there is a problem with an application in the pool.  You can restart a pool from the IIS administrator by right-clicking on the pool and selecting "start".

Of course, rebooting the server should clear things up as well.  Certainly, IIS should be serving the default page.

I'm happy to hear that 10.0 had BISMKAPP.  That's the configuration program for IIS 7+, the version that you have. 

Do you have access to something after 10.0 or (better) a 10.3?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Thanks, Uwe;

I tried restarting the server, also checked the application pools and they appear to be running; also did a NET STOP W3SVC and then a NET START W3SVC, but I get the same results.

http://localhost returns an error 404, as does access to the default.srf file in samples.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.