Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] 5.2.1 problems with windows 95

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 19 November 2002]

Hi Ryan,

If you haven't already, you will want to contact Acucorp Technical Support to discuss these issues (Acucorp does not provide technical support through this forum).

With that said, there was a change to version 5.2.1 which is no doubt related to some of the v5.2.1 behavior you describe. From the v5.2.1 release notes:

===================================

File Access to Windows Shared Files
===================================

On Windows systems, the speed of file access to Vision files located on a Windows shared drive can be variable. The cause of this variability is attributed to an imperfect interaction between the way the Windows operating system handles file locks and the way it caches shared files on the local system. In Version 4.3.1, to improve performance, the method used to access Vision files on Windows shared drives was changed. Subsequently, although most users have experienced good performance and no problems, some users have experienced sporadic file corruption problems (error 98, 90). To minimize the possibility of these errors, in Version 5.2.1 the runtime has reverted to the pre-4.3.1 method of opening files. Although this method can result in somewhat slower performance, it is safer. The faster method can still be used and is configurable via a Windows registry entry.

WARNING

Changing the Windows registry incorrectly can cause serious problems
that may necessitate a complete reinstallation of the operating
system. Changes to the Windows registry should be made only by a
qualified Windows system administrator. Changes to the
Windows registry are not recommended.

To change the runtime to use the faster, but riskier method of opening
files on Windows shared drives, in the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acucorp, Inc.\ACUCOBOL-GT

manually set a registry value of type DWORD:

GetUniqueId Uses CreateFile

to the value "0". When this entry is set to "1" (the default),
the safer method is used.

Performance Tip: File OPENs are relatively expensive operations,
especially on DOS and Windows systems. Eliminating non-essential
file OPENs could significantly improve application performance.

=============

Acucorp Technical Support can provide further information regarding this issue and the other questions in your posting.

Thanks.
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] 5.2.1 problems with windows 95

we have a client that has a mix of workstations 95, 98, 2000 with 2000 server. They have been running with 4.3.1 for over a year with no problems.

I upgraded them to 5.2 and they began to have file corruption with a specific file that is accessed a great deal. This file is however only assessed from the windows 95 machines.

In hopes of fixing the corruption we upgraded them to 5.2.1, they had a noticable slowdown in the system (because of the changes in 5.2.1 - we knew this would happen) and their printers that were mapped as "servbar -d \\s1-irelands\servbar" in the wruncbl.fil began getting error 30's.

So my questions are - does 5.2.1 have anything in it that is not compatible with 95?

Would changing the printing to use -P instead of -D help?

Are there any switches or compile options that could be changed that would help with the problem of 5.2.0 causing corruption where there was none with 4.3.1?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am glad to finally see someone else experiencing these problems. I have a customer on a Novell network with a mixture of windows workstations. I went to 5.2.1 because they were having problems when assigning printers, especially status 94 on their line printer. When I went to 5.2.1 I started using -Q //printer name-direct. This solves the printer assignment problem but the customer is highly dissatisified with the performance, opening a file I-O can take up to 8 seconds. If you have 5 or 6 files being opened in the beginning of a program, the client is waiting a full minute before processing begins. Also we are having a lot of lock-ups on the Win 95 workstations and a lot of status 30 and corrupted files. I have a open incident with AcuSupport. They have sent me a program to change the windows registry to go back to the previous method of file access. I am installing this tommorrow to see if it works and solves some of the other problems. By the way, this site had never had a status 98 until 5.2.1 which is supposed to be safer, they have had 5 or 6 since updating so I don't buy the safer bit about 5.2.1. I personally think there are some problems with 5.2.1 but I can;t go back to 5.2.0 becuase the -Q direct assignment on the printer does not work correctly under that release. Keep me posted on any solutions you stumble onto. Thanks,Mike Skeen
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Mike I believe the ACUanswer to our ACUspeed problem would be ACUserver.

But from a developer standpoint, we should not need an additional product to make our applications run over network connections at speeds that other products, VB, C++ run at without additional software. And since we have seen in 4.3.1 that ACU products can run at a decent speed there should be something Acucorp could do in a new release to keep the speed up and solve curruption problems.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I loaded the program winreg.acu sent to me by acucorp support. It immediately brought the speed back to 4.3 levels while still running under 5.2.1. I am now waiting to see if I continue to have status 30 problems. At least now my customer is off by back about the performance issue.
I have two sites experienceing sporadic status 30 with no secondary status code. AFter they receive the status 30, I have them break out of the program and run the vutil32 -rebuild of the file. The rebuild tells them there is a duplicate key. The program is then restarted and runs ok. I am running with the trace log activated and am sending the trace files to acucorp support. I will let you know if any solution develops.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

please email me that acureg.acu....I'd like to try it with 5.2.1 and do some testing with it, thanks.

ryanneves@execu-tech.com
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.