Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] ABEND Diagnostic report

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 28 February 2007]

Hi,

We sometimes get the following error message log created.
Whenever this error happens, the log file is 2Gb in size - presumably because its continually calling itsself?

Here's the error

Reason for dump:
insism: Program already in use
COBOL error at 003ECC in inesta
("C:/logic/Stock/SOURCE/inesta.src", line 2474)
Called from 0005AC in insism

Runtime version: 7.2.0 + ECN-3314 + ECN-3372 + ECN-3544 + ECN-3574
Command line arguments: -c /logic/configs/logic.txt --app-host utodrv
Process ID: 2383

This site is running 7.2.0 on a SCO openserver 5.0.7 machine, various clients connecting, mostly Windows 2000

Basically inesta is a stock status program, with a product lookup button.
The product lookup program is the insism.
The button we figured was allowing a double click or something, so we decided to disable and reenable afterwards, but still we get the occaisional error.
The insism lookup program is a modal window, so you can't get back to the enquiry screen anyway?

Heres the code on the press of the lookup button
PRODUCT-LOOKUP-Ev-Cmd-Clicked.
MODIFY PRODUCT-LOOKUP, ENABLED FALSE
INITIALIZE LINKAGE-SEL-ISM-RECORD
SET LINKAGE-SEL-ISM-MAIN-SEQ TO TRUE
PERFORM CALL-INSISM
IF S-ISM-BAR NOT = SPACES
MOVE S-ISM-BAR TO ISM-KEY
ISD-ISM-KEY
PERFORM READ-ISM-FILE
PERFORM DISPLAY-DATA
END-IF
MOVE 4 TO ACCEPT-CONTROL
MOVE 6 TO CONTROL-ID
MODIFY PRODUCT-LOOKUP, ENABLED TRUE

Heres the code behind CALL-INSISM
CALL-INSISM.
CALL "insism" USING BY REFERENCE LINKAGE-SECTION-RECORD
LINKAGE-SEL-ISM-RECORD.
MOVE LINKAGE-SEL-ISM-KEY TO S-ISM-BAR
MOVE LINKAGE-SEL-ISM-DESC TO S-ISM-DESC
DISPLAY Screen1.

I've attached a screen print, so you can see the lookup button beside product code and the lookup screen itsself.

Hopefully someone has an idea of what else I could look for or check.

Thanks,

Shaun
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] ABEND Diagnostic report

I can't help you with your specific issue, but can I suggest the following for debugging:

Try using the trace paragraphs ('tp') debug command before starting your run.

Also, if you are concerned about the size of your error log you can set the confiuration variable MAX-ERROR-LINES. I think it is a 2-byte value so you can set it up to 64K. We normally use 50,000.

Also, check what your event procedures do. We had heaps of problems with nested ACCEPTs and other recursive issues to do with event procedures and eventually moved to using "MOVE EVENT-ACTION-TERMINATE TO EVENT-ACTION" and handling the events outside the ACCEPT.

Hope this helps.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] ABEND Diagnostic report

Hi Shaun,

Duncan is right, EVENT-ACTION can help with problematic event code. You should also consider changing the push-button event procedure to an exception procedure. The reason for doing so is that Windows expects events to finish quickly and when they don't unexpected behavior may occur.

Setting RECURSION to 1 in the runtime configuration file might work around the condition that is causing the error. Although that could simply be masking the real problem.

You could also try adding a CANCEL after the CALL "insism" statement. If you don't want the canceled programs removed from memory set LOGICAL_CANCELS to 1 in your runtime configuration file.

If none of that helps then I agree with Duncan, get a runtime trace with paragraph tracing turned on. Set MAX_ERROR_LINES to the maximum which is 32767 (I don't think that is documented anywhere, sorry). It doesn't apply to the Abend Diagnostic Report which dumps out everything it knows when the runtime ends abnormally.

When the error occurs send the runtime trace and Abend Diagnostic Report both to the UK Technical Support department.

Good luck.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.