Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Accessing Pervasive SQL 2000 DB with Acu4GL

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 20 April 2007]

I have written an AcuCobol 7.2 program that uses Acu4GL for ODBC to extract daily transactions that are stored in a Pervasive SQL 2000 database on a Windows 2003 server. The program works fine, accessing the appropriate table and reading the records (rows). The problem is that it is incredibly slow!

The process takes more than 2.5 hours to sequentially read 12,000 transactions in a test environment. Once in production, the daily transaction count will be 75,000+ transactions across several company databases. Obviously, I need a different approach.

I don't know if I should continue to search for a solution within AcuCobol or perform some sort of utility operation outside of AcuCobol. My preference is to use AcuCobol because all the criteria that defines which records should be extracted from the Pervasive databases are defined by information stored in Vision files. Additionally, the supplier of the software using the Pervasive SQL 2000 DB provides no utilities that would allow me extract extract the data.

If I create a query either in MS Access or Excel the extract takes only seconds. The problem with that is, I do not have access to the vision data files from within the query.

Again, I would really like to approach a solution from the AcuCobol side because my SQL skills are minimal at best.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks,
John A Marshall
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.