Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] AcuXDBC and SQL server linked servers

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 11 December 2009]

Has anyone ever created linked server (MSSQL Server) using XDBC?
0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] AcuXDBC and SQL server linked servers

Yes, I have successfully created a Microsoft SQL Server linked server with an AcuXDBC DSN. After installing AcuXDBC and ensuring the environment is set correctly (GENESIS_HOME and PATH) the MS SQL Server must be restarted so it will pick up the new settings. Then create the linked server and you're off and running.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Our setup is SQL on windows and the vision data is on AIX. Is this what you have as well?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Mike,

Yes, I've configured and run a MSSQL Linked Server with the data and AcuXDBC Server on a separate server (although I think I used a Linux box).

Most of the work is on the server. You'll install AcuXDBC Server, configure it, build the system catalog (or copy one if you already have it), and then start the AcuXDBC server.

After that you'll set up an AcuXDBC client DSN on the Windows Server where MSSQL is running. Do that by checking the "Network Driver" item and specifying the server name (or IP address), the port number, the name of the configuration file on the server, and the Username and Password.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm having problems trying to link I got the following error:

Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "ACUXDBC"
OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "ACUXDBC" returned message "[Miscrosoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed".
OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "ACUXDBC" returned message "[TOD][ODBC Driver]DLLLOAD:acuxbdc03, The specified could not be found.
".(Microsoft SQL Server, Error:7303)

When I created the linked server my parameters were:

Linked Server: AcuXDBC
Other data source
Provider: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
Product Name: AcuXDBC
Data Source: AcuXDBC
Provider string: blank
Catalog: blank

The ODBC was created as a system DNS it works great with excel or Crystal Reports as AcuXDBC.

Please help me.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Your Linked Server setup looks correct.

The real issue is identified in this error:

[TOD][ODBC Driver]DLLLOAD:acuxbdc03, The specified module could not be found.

The acuxdbc03.dll is the client piece so I assume the DSN has been set up as a network connection and AcuxDBC Server is running on a separate server.

Your Excel and Crystal Reports connections to the same DSN work so it is set up correctly.

However, in this case with the Linked server the acuxdbc03.dll cannot be found or the security settings are preventing it from being loaded.

I think to resolve this you need to look at two things.

Has MSSQL Server been restarted since installing AcuXDBC?

Does the user account that is logging in to the MSSQL Management Console have sufficient privilege to access the acuxdbc03.dll?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you for your reply.

After I restarted SQL Server I was able to link the server.

Now I can see the tables, but how I can make a query?

When I made a right click in my table --> Script Table as --> Select to --> New Query Editor Window

I got the following message:

-- [ACUXDBC]..[PUBLIC].[CUS10010] contains no columns that can be selected or the current user does not have permissions on that object.
GO

Thank you again for your help.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Paul, it's great that you've got the linked server set up successfully. Now, to get to your data use the openquery method. A simple select will look something like:

select * from openquery(LinkedServerName,'select * from tablename')
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You have to use the OPENQUERY syntax:

select * from OPENQUERY (LINKED-SERVER-NAME, 'select * from TABLENAME')

One important note is that if you want to update or insert a new record the table you will need AcuXDBC 8.1.1 or later as there was an issue with versions older than that caused errors when trying to update a table when using AcuXDBC as a linked server.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you very much for your help.

It works.

I was able to use the following syntax too:

select * from [ACUXDBC]..[PUBLIC].

Regards
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.