Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] AcuXDBC

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 13 February 2008]

We have a client that runs ORACLE on Linux and they want or would prefer to extract data from our Acucobol Application which is running on windows 2003. They would like to do this by using an ODBC connection to the Vision files. Then they could extract the data directly from vision running on windows into their database running on Linux. Is this even possible using ODBC or AcuXDBC, I notice that there is a reference to AcuXDBC client running on linux. So can I run AcuXDBC as a client on Linux for Oracle to access the vision data on a windows machine, I assume I would need an acuXDBC server or at least acuserver running on the windows machine for it to talk to. Any help here would be great.

Thanks
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] AcuXDBC

Consider running the Enterprise version on your Windows server. This will allow JDBC connections to it. On the Linux side, you (or your customer) could write Java programs that connect to AcuXDBC on Windows and pass the data to Oracle on Linux.

Alternatively, using AcuXDBC client on the Windows server, as well as an Oracle ODBC connection, you could use MS Access to move the data from Vision to Oracle. As long as the Windows machine has ODBC (or XDBC) connections to both systems, moving the data from one to the other is fairly simple.

I'm sure there are other ways to skin this cat as well 🙂

Ian
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] AcuXDBC

Thanks for your reply, I have tried AcuXDBC and find it flaky at best and down right impossible to setup let alone using the java connection from Linux. The documentation is not complete and the supplied BAT files required extensive modification to even work, and then added to this the complexity of our Applications XFD files over 1000 of them just doesn't import them all and reports undocumented errors when it does. I do not look forward to trying to explain how to set this up at a clients site or to support it over the telephone when things go wrong or they require an upgrade of our application.

I will be looking for another solution, I am disappointed in that this product does not live up to the high standards of Acucorp products that have come in the past.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.