Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Acucobol Verion 8.1.0

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 16 January 2009]

We recently upgraded a client from Acu 4.3 to Acu 8.1.0. The client is running on a 25 user network. The server runs Windows NT 4 and is a stand alone machine. The work stations are running Windows XP and are mapped to the server.
We are eperiencing a problem after installing version 8.1.0 on the Windows NT server. When we try to connect from a work station we get an error "the application failed to start because the configuration is incorrect. Re-installing may correct the problem." We have tried re-installing, but the error persists. We are able to run the application on the server, but not from the workstations.
Can anybody shed some light on this ?

Many thanks

Med
0 Likes
17 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Acucobol Verion 8.1.0

The resolution to this can be found in a knowledge base item on the Micro Focus SupportLine website (supportline.microfocus.com).

The article is http://kb.microfocus.com/article.aspx?article=2731&p=2

The issue is that starting with version 8.0.0 the Microsoft Installer is used with the extend product line, when installing on one machine and running via a mapped drive - or copying the installation to another machine - the necessary Microsoft Foundation Class libraries can no longer be found.

The above article contains a zip archive that contains two folders with these libraries. The archive needs to be extracted into the bin directory where the runtime was installed so that the 2 folders are now sub-directories. Then when run via a mapped drive the runtime will execute correctly.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Had the same problem going from 7.2 to 8.0. Finally got the two sub-directories from support. Upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1. Same problem, after being told that the old DLL's should work by support, was finally told Acucorp used a different class file to build the runtime and as such needed a different set of DLL's. I'm glad to see they now have the 8.0 DLL's readily available, but wouldn't it be nice if they had automatically had the DLL's on the CD or on the web like the 8.0 versions for 8.1 since they were already aware of the potential problem.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I've downloaded the zip file and extracted the dlls to the bin folder, but the problem persists. We rename our runtimes and licence files from wrun32 to wruncbl. Could this be a problem ?

Medasha
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

There is a different set of Microsoft DLLs (same dlls differnt versions) to resolve the issue in 8.1.

The following Knowledge Base article has the details and the files are attached:

http://kb.microfocus.com/article.aspx?article=5140&p=2
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi... i have the same problem on the 8.1, but also installing the new DLLs nothing changed.
Referring to the post I can see only that my working directory of the rtime is not the C:\Program Files\Acucorp\Acucbl810\AcuGT\bin but d:\wfar\bin.
Can be this a problem?

The steps I have followed:
1. Copied the folder of my software into d:\ (secondary disk) so now I have a folder called d:\wfar\ with also the runtime inside d:\wfar\bin
2. Extracted the 2 folder "Microsoft.VC80.CRT" and "Microsoft.VC80.MFC" as sub-directory inside the d:\wfar\bin
3. Restated the pc (just to be sure of some strange issue of windows)
4. run "wrun32 -vv" directly from the folder d:\wfar\bin with a dos shell
5. error "The system cannot execute the specified program"

Can I test something more?
Have I done some mistake?

Ty

Antonio Donato
Studiofarma S.r.l.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Be careful. The DLLs that resolve the issue in 8.1 are not the same version as the DLLs which resolve the problem in 8.0.

For Version 8.1 make sure to get the DLLs from this Micro Focus KB article:

Regards,
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ty for the reply.

I just found the mistake 15 min ago with the Italian Customer care.

My mistake was that i had in the bin directory a wrong version of the msvc*80.dll. I mean, i had inside the subdirectory "Microsoft.VC80.CRT" and "Microsoft.VC80.MFC" the right files, but for mistake i had the same files (but the wrong version) also in the main \bin directory.

I solved deleting that files from the \bin directory.

Ty anyway.

donant
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Be careful. The DLLs that resolve the issue in 8.1 are not the same version as the DLLs which resolve the problem in 8.0.

For Version 8.1 make sure to get the DLLs from this Micro Focus KB article:

Regards,

Are there some new DLLs f?r vers 8.1.2..?
I downloaded these from the link above, put the sub-folders in the bin-folder, but I still get the same error message ('the application failed to start ...').
Any other ideas?

(It's installed on a network drive, works fine from the PC where installation was made from, but not from any other PC).
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi, I have the same problem. So far, I have not been able to get v8.1.2 up and running without running a full blown setup.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Version 8.1.2 requires different versions of the Microsoft Assemblies because Visual Studio was updated by Microsoft.

The new ones can be found attached to this KB article:

http://kb.microfocus.com/article.aspx?article=13915&p=2
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

There are new versions of the MFC DLL's needed for 8.1.2 I believe there is an article in the knowledgebase that has the zip archive attached.

Unfortunately every time Microsoft updated Visual Studio any version of ACUCOBOL-GT built with the updated Visual Studio will likely require different DLL's than work with previous version (see 8.0, 8.1, 8.1.2 problems above) and we will see more knowledgebase articles for those versions.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.