Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Acurcl - Modify a security record

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 29 April 2010]

Hi all
Is it possible to create a script that modifies a security record in /etc/AcuAccess?

Normally it is only ?root? that must run acurcl ?access, but I would like to give the user a possibility to change their own password, by saving the old and new password and using / passing this as input to acurcl.

Can this be done?

Regards
Kim
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Acurcl - Modify a security record

It may be possible but you'll probably need to contact support. AcuAccess is a Vision file with encryption, so it may be possible to write a COBOL program to open, read and write to it, but you would need the FD structure.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It may be possible but you'll probably need to contact support. AcuAccess is a Vision file with encryption, so it may be possible to write a COBOL program to open, read and write to it, but you would need the FD structure.

Accessing the file from a COBOL program is possible, but won't solve the problem you're trying to solve because the password field itself is encrypted. As far as I know, the algorithm used for this isn't publicly available (and might prove difficult to implement in COBOL if it were available).

I've used a shell script to feed commands to the acurcl -access dialogue with good success. If you want something more sophisticated, you should check out the "expect" utility (http://expect.nist.gov/). Some Linux distributions come with expect already installed.

Here's a simple shell script for creating a new AcuAccess file in the current directory, and creating a record for user TestUser, from TestUser-PC, mapped to local user LocalUser, with password "SecreT123", and umask 007:

#!/bin/sh

echo "./AcuAccess"
echo "y"
echo "1"
echo "TestUser-PC"
echo "TestUser"
echo "LocalUser"
echo "SecreT123"
echo "SecreT123"
echo "007"
echo
echo "5"

exit 0

As root (or using sudo), run the script and pipe its output into acurcl -alias:

# ./testscript.sh | acurcl -alias
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for your input.
I?m sure I can make it work now ? perfect 🙂

Regards Kim
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.