Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Advanced Windows programming with ACUCOBOL-GT

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 09 August 2006]

Since there has been some questions regarding Windows programming lately, I thought I should notify you of the Advanced Windows programming schedule this fall.

This two-day class provides an overview of developing ACUCOBOL-GT programs for a Windows environment. Topics covered will include:

An overview of terms such as API, DLL, OCX, and COM
Windows data types versus ACUCOBOL-GT
Accessing the Windows API
COM fundamentals
ActiveX fundamentals
ACUCOBOL-GT syntax for Windows programming
Accessing the COBOL Virtual Machine? from C++, Visual Basic, and Delphi
Unicode
Distributing ActiveX components
In addition, the course instructor will provide information about Microsoft Office, including:

Controlling Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, and PowerPoint, via COM with ACUCOBOL-GT for tasks such as transferring data or generating documents
Mail merge, charts, formulas, contacts, updating databases, and generating reports?without leaving COBOL
Using Microsoft components provided with ACUCOBOL-GT
As an attendee of this course, you?ll benefit from the opportunity to put into practice what you learn through the hands-on lab exercises and classroom examples. You?ll also receive a workbook containing copies of the presentation slides and a CD containing code for the lab exercises.

Note: A basic understanding of Windows and ACUCOBOL-GT are prerequisites for this class.

Events take place at:

Munich, Germany 5 - 6 October
Twickenham, UK 19 - 20 October
Utrecth, Netherlands 23 - 24 October
Piacenza, Italy 20 - 21 November
Johannesburg, South Africa 23 - 24 November
Atlanta, USA 30 Nov - 1 Dec
Chicago, USA 4 - 5 December

Questions about the training beyond the description? Feel free to ask.
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Advanced Windows programming with ACUCOBOL-GT

By basic requirements of Windows and ACU COBOL GT, would I qualify?

I have 2+ years converting from DOS to Windows ACUCOBOL. Conversion was a complete rewrite for a full Windows GUI solution. No detailed understanding of how Active-X, COM and other objects are organised or work. Have never used VB. Have never coded for Windows applications (other than recent ACUCOBOL conversion).

If I qualify then I will come to the October course.

Regards
Keith
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I would say so. What is hiding behind the phrase "Basic understanding" is:

COBOL: You know the COBOL programming language and understand to use it.

Windows: You are familiar with programming Windows UI technology; controls (entry fields, buttons, etc), perhaps some windows printing.

Example:
One of the samples we look at, is how to obtain the system IP address.
We assume you know what an IP address is. We are not going to teach
you that.

You will learn how to implement Windows datatypes in ACUCOBOL-GT,
we will explain to you how datatypes work in Windows, tell you the
COBOL counterparts to most fundamental Windows datatypes.
But we are expecting you are familiar with the PICTURE, USAGE clause.

If you are familiar with Acubench it is a plus, but no prerequisite, all the training, examples and exercises is doable without Acubench. But Acubench is require for drag'n drop.

All examples are in plain no nonsense COBOL.

Let us put it this way: The training is not about learning to do your first GUI application. This should be something you have learned before. This is about going beyond that.

I hope that answered your question.

Hope to see you in October.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It would seem I am wonderfully qualified. I will book the course.
Regards
Keith
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What is the cost?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It's a shame you're not coming to Australia or New Zealand with the course... It looks very good.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What is the cost?

You will have to contact your account manager on that. I really have no idea.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It's a shame you're not coming to Australia or New Zealand with the course... It looks very good.

Thank you, we wanted to set up an event down under, but a survey made by San Diego found no or too little interest. If you think this is wrong, I suggest you talk with San Diego about it. We will come if there is enough people to attend.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.