Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Any Luck using any graphical Desktop from Redhat

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 26 November 2002]

Is anyone running AcuCobol from within a graphical environment like the Gnome desktop using Redhat operating system? Of course within Gnome I.m using laucher to run an APP within TERMINAL mode.

Anyone have any luck with GNOME, KDE, XTERM, Etc?

Dennis Lukefahr
0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Any Luck using any graphical Desktop from Redhat

I don't use this often, so that's why my a_termcap is not perfect, but it works. I use Redhat with GNOME and XTERM. Under XTERM I have no graphical lines, but colors and function keys 1-8 work. Other function keys doesn't work, but they are included in this a-termcap, because I sometimes use the free terminal emulation program PuTTY on Windows PC's wich uses the xterm emulation.

Andr
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

hello,
sometimes, having problems with the standard a_termcap file
provided by the Acu's tarball, I simply copy the original termcap
file to a_termcap.
This let's your app behaves as all the other os applications.
hope this helps
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have an enhanced A_TERMCAP file that has allowed me to see and use menubars within REDHAT8.0 but it has some real quirks. If I use menubars then the background color doesn't stay set properly. I get white space in some of the undefined areas.

Also, I can get the mouse to work within the menubars but I can not get a mouse double click to take. From the debugger if I perform a paragraph step which adds the menubars and then do a 'g' for run the complete program the menubar is not visible although it is still there because if you click and hold the menubar item is then displayed.

Is the quick fix to this is to skip all menubar and mouse functions from within the REDHAT8 GNOME desktop. Within GNOME I use launcher to create an icon that runs using TERMINAL mode.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

is there any talk of a graphical Linux runtime, I know the GT is based on the window API but I've had a few customers ask about running graphical cross different platforms.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We have done some experimenting with using the Windows Acu Runtime on Linux running WINE (Windows DLL replacements for running on Linux GUI).

Thin Client performed better under the basic GUI control tests we ran, but it could still be an option for your app. Could be worth looking into.

go to http://www.winehq.org to check out WINE.

good luck,

MM
😉
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi.

Here's the termcap file I set up for use with "xterm".

Lars
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.