Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] BTRIEVE API Calls.

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 21 February 2008]

Does anybody have any examples of BTRIEVE API calls in Cobol. I've got a project that I'm going to be starting on where I need to use these calls to access a Pervasive database through this API. I did some searching on the sample program page and here in the forums and didn't seem to come up with anything. I've got the documentation from the Pervasive web site, and it doesn't look like it would be that difficult, but a couple of test have come up with no results.

Thanks,

Steve
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] BTRIEVE API Calls.

ACUCOBOL-GT has a btrieve interface that can be used with Pervasive. You might want to contact Sales and Technical Support as there are customers that do this now with the btrieve.dll that Acucorp can provide.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We already are doing btrieve calls through a dll that was written years ago by one of our C++ developers. I was hoping to get away from this and to call the btrieve.dll directly through our code without any interface. I just don't know if it's possible without having to purchase the interface. Especially since our customers already have to purchase the Btrieve database engine as well as the client for all of their pc's. Maybe someone could explain to me, why I would need to purchase another interface piece to make this happen. Isn't the btrieve dll just a standard API type dll. Looking at the C++ code, that's all it appears to be.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

After doing some research, I found that the ACUCOBOL-GT btrieve interface, allows you to use direct file access functions without the use of the DLL. This appears to be designed more for using as a database for your application. We are still using Vision files for our own files, the use of the Btrieve (Pervasive) data is from a system that we interface to. We access the database through the DLL to read/Write/Update their records, but still maintain the same data in our software data files.

I have been able to get the API calls working, it was just a matter of setting up the correct data variables that are compatible. Now I have to research this other applications formats to find out what and how data is stored in their files. At least I have the C++ structures to work with, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.