Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Batch Scheduler

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 27 August 2008]

I'm very new to AcuCobol but very old to Cobol in general. I'm looking for the best way to create a scheduling environment for batch activities. My background is HP MPE and in that arena, once could run a batch job (job 1) in the morning that would immediately stream other batch jobs (job 2,job 3, job 4) at specific times and then it (job 1) would end while the others waited until their appropriate scheduled run time). I can think of a way to make all of this happen in AcuCobol but I want to make sure that I'm not re-inventing the wheel and not doing it in a very ugly way.
Thanks in advance,
Mike
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Batch Scheduler

I'll guess that you are moving into the Unix world versus the Windows world.

For Unix, check out crontab

http://www.adminschoice.com/docs/crontab.htm

For Windows, there is a Scheduler

http://www.iopus.com/guides/winscheduler.htm
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It's Windows but I was looking form something more robust than the task scheduler.
Ex:
Start job 1 at 10:00 am
Start job 2 when job 1 finishes
Start job 3 when file X shows up
Start job 4 when file Y is non longer present.

This is just an example
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Looks like a bat script would do this. When each run is finished the program can set or unset an environment and the bat script could execute job x based on those values.

The bat script could be launched via the Windows scheduler.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.