Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] C$SOCKET hanging

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 02 April 2008]

Hi,

We use a modified version of the C$SOCKET emailer sample that was posted on here some time ago.

This program was working well until recently.
V7.2.0 and V8.0

Basically all works perfectly OK until the command "DATA" is sent via C$SOCKET.
This goes through OK, and then the program tried to get response messages back from the server.
It hangs immegiately the read response is issued.

But................................................ only in fat client (wrun32)
If I run the exact same program using thin client (acuthin) on either a windows runtime or a unix runtime the code continues on as normal.

I can also telnet to the exchange server port and manually type the commands in - thats also working too.

Basically I don't know what else to look for.
The guy that looks after the exchange server did something - that I do know.
But is there any other way I can trace why it hangs?

Thanks,

Shaun
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] C$SOCKET hanging

Sounds like you have a solid reproducing example. To eliminate the possibility of a change on Exchange, can you try this with another smtp server?

If it reproduces there as well, send the example to tech support.

Have you tried with the original example, does it reproduce with that as well?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem. I think the SMTP server in my case is a exchange server but I'm not 100% sure.

I took away the extra CRLF after RCPT TO: is sent and it then worked well.

However the call to close the socket after QUITCRLF takes a very long time to return (30 seconds or so).

I read on another forum that ettiquette says you should send a socket "shutdown" to the server before closing the socket but I can't find an AGS-SHUTDOWN op-code.

Talking SMTP does not seem to be an exact science. But it must be pretty solid since most e-mail clients works quite well.

regards,
Hans
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'd sort of forgotten about this.

I have this code running on 2 other customers servers with exchange.
Neither have a problem.
I know that something was done to our small business server and I know that the program only hung form then, previously it was OK.

My colleague that does the exchange stuff isn't 100% sure what he changed.
I can also see his point that it works via a telnet command line to the server, and its working in thin client via 2 other servers - both unix & windows?

Its only a problem for us internally when testing something which emails and you've forgotten it emails - then it hangs and of course then you remember!

If it ever stems to a customer, then we'll have to follow official support channels I suppose.

Shaun
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.