Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Closing Web Thin Client Gracefully when Internet Explorer X button is used

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 13 October 2009]

Hi There,

We run Web Thin Client (7.2.2) in an Internet Explorer Browser to run our cobol application remotely. What we are finding is that if the X on the brower window in IE7.0 & 8.0 is used the cobol application and browser does not shut down gracefully causing an internet explorer error (Internet explorer has stopped working) as it tries to force the shutting of the web thin client ActiveX control. If we use the cobol application exit button the application and browser close correctly without error.

Reading thru google blogs/newsgroups there is no way to disable the X on the browser pop-up window.

I have tried playing around with the AcuThinAX1.AcuShutdownAx() method in javascript on the pop-window to close the cobol app gracefully but as it says in the online help - "The shutdown action assumes that the COBOL application is currently in idle mode. If the runtime is not idle, the browser hangs, waiting for the application to idle"

Because the cobol application may not be idle when the user clicks X the browser still gives a general error as it tries to force the shutting of the ActiveX control.

Is there a way to gracefully shutdown the cobol application running in Web Thin Client mode when the user clicks the X on the browser window instead of using the cobol application logout button ?

Thanks in advance.
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Closing Web Thin Client Gracefully when Internet Explorer X button is used

This is kind of a dilemma, because we can certainly notify the runtime that the browser is about to shut down, however, it is a matter of time and not something you can avoid.

I'd suggest you raise this as an enhancement request. Okay, I am willing to discuss whether it should be a bug 🙂
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Closing Web Thin Client Gracefully when Internet Explorer X button is used

I think it should definitly be logged as a bug given it generates a browser error. Fine for us internally and understanding why it occurs but all our customers see is an application error. Thank-you for the response.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

There is already an RPI documenting this issue and it is in Development's queue for resolution. There is not yet a time-frame for addressing the issue.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks DougP. I will Update the incident with this info.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.