Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Comp-3 Field conversion

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 26 August 2006]

We have some fields that are COMP-3. What we would like to do is export those to a text file and import them using a DTS packet into SQL tables. We know that AcuODBC will do this but we can't handle the data in that manner.

We have made all steps work except taking the text file with COMP fields and converting them to something that can be used. The only thing that we have been able to do it take another COBOL program and do it but that is not an option with the size of the data that we have to use daily.

If anyone has been able to take a Vision file with COMP-3 fields in the layout and convert the exported text files please let me know.

Thanks
0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Comp-3 Field conversion

Hi,

I guess you've tried VUTIL -UNLOAD and found that comp-3 fields don't work too well. Even in binary mode, you'll get binary output which doesn't provide any information about where the decimal place belongs (this is determined at runtime by the program examining the data and isn't stored in the data file).

My suggestion would be a third party report writing tool, something like Cyberscience's VCQ, but not knowing your site or budget, this might be like buying a sledgehammer to open a walnut.

Best of luck,

Ian
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.