Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Creating Excel Spreadsheet

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 15 November 2005]

More and more we are being asked to create Excel Spreadsheets from the old reports we create.

Is there any likelihood that Acucorp will be able to provide tools for us to populate an Excel spreadsheet - from the Thin Client!!!

Thanks
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Creating Excel Spreadsheet

ACUCOBOL-GT has been able to control Microsoft Office, including Microsoft Excel directly for years.
One of my favourite demoes is to run ACUCOBOL-GT of a linux box with thin client having the display of the ACUCOBOL-GT running on one windows machine making a mailmerge using Microsoft Word running of a second Windows computer.

All of this is accomplished using the (D)COM from COBOL.

There are many examples available for this and training for this is also provided. I suggest you contact your contact within ACUCORP Inc. for further information on training.

As for examples, just browse the forum, there are many examples that has been posted.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the update, and I'll look into COM if we agree that it is what we really want to use.

My request (though clearly not explained very well :confused: and now that I've thought about it more) is really for a platform independent utility that can create an Excel file without the user having Excel installed on their PC or server. Perhaps they need to create an Excel file and email it to someone else without opening the file themselves.

It would also be usefull on *NIX platforms to create Excel files to be emailed to users as required.

Creating Open Office documents would be of equal interest to us if Acucorp wanted to support a platform independent Spreadsheet tool.

Thanks again for your reply.

Ian
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Creating a native Excel file is not something that is a natural product enhancement for ACUCOBOL-GT.
Also, Excel will happily read .CSV files, which I presume would function great s a data carrier and those can be created with a normal sequential file.
As for Open Office, please read the latest Acucorp Newsletter just released which have a great article of my colleague Doug on our new C$JAVA feature and actually talks about interoperating with Open Office specifically.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.