Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

[archive] Creating pdf on a linux srv with acuconnect (for viewing/printing with thin client)

[Migrated content. Thread originally posted on 19 November 2007]

I'm looking for a simple solution for printing to a pdf file (on a linux acu-connect server)
With the thin client I want to open this file, which then easily can be printed.

I've read solutions as printing to a postscript file and then converting to pdf with ps2pdf. But I think that the postscript printer then want some interaction about where to save this file (which of course I want to pre-define).

Who has (better) ideas about how to create easily a pdf file on a linux acuconnect server without any interaction such as where to save this file?

Thanks.
0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Creating pdf on a linux srv with acuconnect (for viewing/printing with thin client)

We use a PDF print driver and handle everything on the Windows side.

http://cutepdf.com/Solutions/pdfwriter.asp

We use this solution for Windows or thin client. You should see some other threads on here about this solution.

Rob
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RE: [archive] Creating pdf on a linux srv with acuconnect (for viewing/printing with thin client)

Thanks for your reaction.

But I think this need some extra explanation.
I want to use the web thin client, so customers can easily login everywhere. When I use this windows client solution the customer always has to install a windows client driver like cute-pdf.

That's why I?m looking for a possibility to create the pdf file on the server (linux/acuconnect) without interaction where to save this file.

Ed
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We are using pdf.php It is a php program to convert text file to pdf. It works pretty fast and has several options. It is free and we have it running on our Linux Thin Client Server.

You have to have php installed on the Linux server for it to work.

http://us2.php.net/pdf

Here is where we picked up the file and the manual.

If you are interested I can send you the code we are using.

You can contact me at milton@mcs-medical.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm using txt2pdf, for reports and invoices, works great. You can find it at

http://www.sanface.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We use Apache FOP to create PDF files on a linux server.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

You could take the text file and convert it to postscript using enscript, and then use ps2pdf to convert from postscript to pdf. For example:-

enscript --landscape --font="Courier7" --ps-level=2 --no-header -o file.ps file.txt
ps2pdf file.ps file.pdf

That's my 2 cents worth anyway 🙂

Ian
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.